The Planted Tank Forum banner

Species from the Lobelia genus

775 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hydrophyte 
#1 ·
I've seen Lobelia Cardinalis used a lot. I have a bunch of them in my tank now. I've found Lobelia dortmanna discussed on this forum. What about other species? Specifically, does Lobelia erinus (crystal palace) have a submerged form? You can get these seeds at the hardware store. The only mention of Lobelia erinus I found on the forum was growing emersed in a HOB filter.

#2 ·
Me personally, I'm not familiar with L. erinus.

I have both Cardinalis and Dortmanna. Haven't been successful in finding much/if any info on the Dortmanna. All I can say is that it is an extremely slow grower. Much slower than a related plant Littorella uniflora.

#3 ·
The Lobelia's I'm familiar with:
Lobelia erinus is the common cascading Lobelia sold in garden stores in the spring, it likes shade so would do pretty well in a HOB filter I guess but I don't think its a swamp plant
Lobelia siphilitica: a perennial here in NE tolerates a wide range of conditions, including wet but gets quite big and probably goes dormant
Lob. inflata: this grows wild through out my gardens and I thought it stayed quite small, but info indicates it can grow big. It might be worth experimenting with? Beyond that I don't really know about any other than some L cardinalis hybrids.
Not much help I guess....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.