The Planted Tank Forum banner

E.stellata

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  plantbrain 
#1 ·
Was recently given a nice stem of E S and initially it was doing great.
As you can see, I'm braggin' on it in this thread :
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25098

Anyway, I guess I spoke to soon. Now what's happening after 3Wks is the leaves on the orig stem are turning brown and the new growth is a pale yellow W/ brown spots (not algae) developing on the ends of the leaves..:(

Have added Iron, & considering a root tablet....Any Thoughts????

Thanks ~ Pete

#4 ·
Hey Pete,
This plant always does this to me to. It will grow nice for a while and for some reason the top gets stunned and look like its going to die. After a little while it will grow new stems from below the top part and the new stems will look and grow nicely. Once the stems get to a nice size I just snip then off and replant them in the substrate. They usually get stunned once they reach about 5/6 of the hieght of the tank. But was is strange is that it will happen to some stems but other will continue to grow all the way to the top.
In other words it perfectly normal.

By the way how are the shrimp doing?

Regards,
Alex

#5 ·
Hey Alex, that sounds exactly whats going on here, kind of looks like a deficiency of some sorts?? It just happens that I snipped the biggest shoot & planted it in my 25g It is doing very well !!
Have you ever snipped the top of the plant, when it starts getting that dying off look? I wonder what would happen???.....aahh now where are my scissors :)

Yes, the shrimp they are still alive & getting larger so I guess I'm doing something right :proud:
I saw what looked like eggs the other day on the leaves of the J fern. Figured thay had been dumped, maybe no males fertilzed them??
Not really too clued in on shrimp behaviour, that's my next project.

Regards,
Pete

#6 ·
I have cut the top the plant when it got stunned to see what happens, and it will grow new side shoots after a little while, Its a good way to get more plants.

Give the shrimp a bit more time, It may take them a while to get setteled in enough to reproduce properly. Sexing cherries is fairly simple. the females will have much more red color to them and the males will have very little red on them.

#7 ·
For me this plant grows like a weed. I've thrown more out than i care to remember. Pale growth sounds like a light or Co2 problem. :)

When mine starts growing new shoots, the stems will look pale and sad, but only until the reach "Critical mass" then they grow annoyingly fast.... probably the fastest growing plant in my tank

#8 ·
Generally CO2 and or NO3's, they do better at higher KNO3 dosing/CO2.

They are weedy plants and simply providing stable conditions will take care of things. New shoots will form and rapidly grow.

Toss the bottom stem after you get enough new stems to plant the group.

Regards,
Tom Barr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.