The Planted Tank Forum banner

help with balanese crypt

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  triple red 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a Balanese crypt that I have had for a little over a year.
It does nothing.... no growth, no melt, nothing..... I have moved it, I have had it in low light, high light, co2, ferts.....it looks exactly the same as the day I bought it.:icon_roll
Does anyone have any ideas on how to jump start this plant?
And if anybody can link me to a pic of this plant...What it would look like if it did grow....It would be much appreciated.:)
Thanks,
~~~Dawn

#3 ·
While this isn't going to help you, I can tell you that I have the same issue with a balansae for about 3 years now. It has 3 leaves, and as one new leaf appears, the oldest one disintegrates. Many many things have changed in my tank in the years, but the C. balansae hasn't. Weird.

#4 ·
maybe a different variety balanese

I went to check out the link and maybe I don't have a Balanese crypt. Or maybe it is a different variety than one in the link.
It is some kind of crypt. It has very narrow long leaves that are green. And it has the wrinkles that are typical of crypts.
I was trying to post a pic but can't seem to figure that one out.
Sheesh I always have the worst time posting pics on boards lol.
~~~Dawn

#9 ·
Nope I don't think that is it.
Maybe it isn't a crypt. It just occurred to me that the leaves all come out in a tight center point. They are all layered on top of each other... very tightly around the center point of the plant. Does that make sense?
(Hi April)

#11 ·
Not sure what Dawn's plant is, but at least the commentary is making me feel better about my balansae growth. Like Wasser, I have lots of leaves that seem to keep dying off, but at least my growth is about 1.5x the death rate. So, in the year since I've had mine, it has likely doubled in size. I was hoping for more, but now I'm feeling much happier with what I've experienced.

So....thanks!
Brian.

#12 ·
I have about 10 Cryptocoryne balansae in my 46g and they only started to have new growth when I moved them to the side of the tank for more light. I have a 96w cf and they were not getting enough light towards the back. Now they have to be trimmed about every 2 weeks.

Josh

#14 ·
Ummm,
The root is like a bulb. Although that is not an acurate description.
The "bulb" is sort of "cylindrical" shaped yet not like a rhizome shape such as with java fern. And there are several nodules on the bulb where the roots come out. The leaves come out from the top of the bulb and they all come out very tightly wrapped around each other at the center.
I will pull the plant up and take a pic tomorrow. Last night when I took the pic that is in the link I left my camera on and now I have to charge the batteries.

#15 ·
jmelnek said:
I have about 10 Cryptocoryne balansae in my 46g and they only started to have new growth when I moved them to the side of the tank for more light. I have a 96w cf and they were not getting enough light towards the back. Now they have to be trimmed about every 2 weeks.

Josh
Yeah mine started slowly, but cranked up when they saw more light after I moved them to the foreground. I really like the texture of C. balansae's leaves. Regarding your plant April, I'm with Mike on the ID. My C.balansae have kind of white colored roots.

#16 ·
Pictures of the root

Ok here are two pictures of the plant root and the size of a leaf relative to the size of a pencil.
I'm thinking if I can identify this plant I may be able to get it do SOMETHING,
ANYTHING... lol
I have searched many a site to figure out what this thing is.... just can't seem to find it.
Thanks in advance for the help.:)
~~~Dawn
http://hometown.aol.com/flowergirl371/index.html

#18 ·
Well I figured if I could identify it then maybe I could figure out where in the world it comes from and then get it to do something by getting conditions close to what its natural origin would be like. It was labled a Balanese crypt when I bought it. But I don't really go strictly by what aquatic plants are labled in the stores. Alot of times they are labled incorrectly.
I think i might try to put it in a pot and put a jobes stick under it in some kitty litter and peat. Just to see if it will do something. (Nothing else has worked) Maybe move it to my tank that I have a peat filter on. That tank has 4wpg. no c02.
~~~Dawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.