So is this new Ludwigia sp. OR 'Araguaia'??? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
The only thing that comes to mind is that this is a variety of the Cuba (Tinatu you expertise to the possibility here) since you say you also have Cuba.
Again, they are all forms of L. inclinata, which is found from Cuba and Mexico all the way to northern Argentina. There are no doubt many, many more still out there. Interestingly, it seems that the most common submersed variety is var. verticillata, to which all the plants in this thread belong. L. inclinata var. inclinata, in which leaves are still alternate submersed, seems to be much less common, even though it was introduced to the hobby first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 AM
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
And what makes you think it is? Dont you read before you post....?
Why are you always so hostile when confronted with simple questions? There is no information in the OP about the plant other than "Its growing nicely for me". I can certainly read, thank you for your concern.

I don't see any features that would lead me to believe that the plant in question is NOT Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba', so i just wanted to know if there was something that you are seeing that i'm not...

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinanti View Post
Again, they are all forms of L. inclinata, which is found from Cuba and Mexico all the way to northern Argentina. There are no doubt many, many more still out there. Interestingly, it seems that the most common submersed variety is var. verticillata, to which all the plants in this thread belong. L. inclinata var. inclinata, in which leaves are still alternate submersed, seems to be much less common, even though it was introduced to the hobby first.
hmmm...I see. You input is always appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid
I don't see any features that would lead me to believe that the plant in question is NOT Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba', so i just wanted to know if there was something that you are seeing that i'm not...
A little background to the story Az. I purchased the plant shown here as Ludwigia Araguaia from Joraan and upon receiving the plant I noticed immediately it was not the Araguaia I owned and grew fairly well a few years back. We have no qualms as we've already worked something out, so no biggie with regards to the mistaken identity. All this thread purpose is him trying to correctly identify the plant he currently has in his tank. I saying no it's not, but he is confused since he got it from an experienced member. So it's kinda like who am I to say no when another says yes and reached out for others input- no big deal to this either, I would too if I wasn't sure.

I have no doubt's in my mind that what he sent me was Ludwigia Cuba thinking it was Araguaia and the picture I posted above confirms this. While Araguaia can look similar to Cuba in 'some' pictures it is very different plant in texture, color and growth. If we had some better pictures (not dissing anyone, just saying so please do not go there) identification would be easy/ier.

One of the biggest diference as I've mention before is the color between the Cuba and Araguaia. The Araguaia almost has a glow to it under high lighting....a Yellow'sh glow that is. Where as the Cuba leaves remain dull, but on the very top it takes on some colors as I've shown in my picture a few posts up.

Here is an Araguaia true color or when happy :

The Junkie

Last edited by mrkookm; 02-12-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarify
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Here is the Araguaia beside Pantanals. Again the other trait with the Araguaia is that it looks exactly like a Pantanal, but without the Color. Cuba is not even remotely close

The Junkie
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

Ok .....after seeing the picture posted by mrkookm: if that plant is Araguaia then what plant is this???Its not even close to any pictures of mrkookm and this is for sure not Cuba......

Could it be my tanks Parameter??? Light, Co2, fert etc.....?

Upon further research I came across this thread.

Ludwigia inclinata var verticillata 'araguaia' - flower

I might be wrong....but Is he as well?? after flowering....

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
Ok .....after seeing the picture posted by mrkookm: if that plant is Araguaia then what plant is this???Its not even close to any pictures of mrkookm and this is for sure not Cuba......

Could it be my tanks Parameter??? Light, Co2, fert etc.....?

Upon further research I came across this thread.

I might be wrong....but Is he as well?? after flowering....
Him allowing it to flower is still not telling us much since IMO he just flowered the wrong plant. We have no 'true' reference of the Araguaia flowering to compare this to, so those pics are moot.

IMO he mistakenly sent you an Ludwigia Cuba or some other variant of the Ludwidiag Inclinata. But from the growth and color I'm getting so far it's like a Cuba and definitely not an Araguaia.

The Junkie
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

First of all I applaud Joraan and mrkookm for their efforts in this thread. It is my belief that too often plants are offered on our forums that are identified incorrectly; therefore making when our members make an effort to try to correctly identify a plant it is a good thing and should be encouraged.

Roy
45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Press. CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

Further search yield to this link....

http://www.gwapa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2590&p=23589

Originally Started by Aaron back in 2008. If you compare the flower, leave structure and such I see no difference with this

Cheers!!!
J
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

Manini
Click image for larger version

Name:	manini.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	86818

Name:	manini2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	86834

Aaron

Name:	aaron.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	86826

Cheers!!!
J
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What I want to ask though, is what do flowers on Cuba look like? For some reason, I feel like the emersed forms of these plants would have the same flowers and emersed leafs....I mean, at their base, they are really only regional variations of the same species yes?

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Honeycomb Master

So is this new Ludwigia sp. OR 'Araguaia'???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
What I want to ask though, is what do flowers on Cuba look like? For some reason, I feel like the emersed forms of these plants would have the same flowers and emersed leafs....I mean, at their base, they are really only regional variations of the same species yes?
That's what I was thinking. Would there be any way to differentiate the two flowers (L. 'Araguaia' and L. 'Cuba', for example) since they are the same species and same variation, just from different locations with slight physical differences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

Quote:
Would there be any way to differentiate the two flowers (L. 'Araguaia' and L. 'Cuba', for example) since they are the same species and same variation, just from different locations with slight physical differences?
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...hp?i=2216&c=68

Now you be the Judge....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cuba.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	87114  

Cheers!!!
J
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Honeycomb Master

I think I'll say no...

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Joraan

i think its cuba, i remember i have bought Araguaia from you and it looked like Cuba once it was fully grown.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tbh, I don't even see a difference between emersed Araguai and emersed Cuba.

And based on those submerged comparison pics, I think more people think it is Cuba.

I think, if you could, you should get a few stems of Araguai elsewhere, and a few stems of Cuba, and grow Cuba, your unknown, and Araguai all together just to compare. Maybe even let them grow emersed to compare structure and all. Could at least be an interesting little experiment...you could even replace your unknown with pantanal later on, just to show the three varieties side by side so that everyone can easily see the differences right off the bat.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode