The Planted Tank Forum banner

All 4 of my fish suddenly died with in about 24hrs how should i keep my java moss?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Razorworm 
#1 ·
Well I feed my tiger barbs a tetra veggie tank nibbler yesterday and when i woke up today they where all dead. My question is I have some java moss and a moss ball in the tank how should I keep them until I can setup a shrimp tank? This is the only tank I have running right now. I have the stuff for a 5gal but its not even running right now. Please help!

#9 ·
Well this was first tank i ever setup that was a victim of me not knowing what i was doing :(....... I feel really stupid........ I definitely do not plan on setting up another tank until i know more which i hope will be a shrimp tank.

#10 ·
Well, first things first get yourself some water test kits and see where you stand. You can read up on doing a fishless cycle-there are tons of articles on the web about it- and see learn to dose straight ammonia and test the results. By dosing the ammonia you can keep the tank's bacteria going and feed the moss until you figure out what you want to do.

Good luck!

#11 ·
The OP hasnt said 1) how long the fish were in the tank before they died 2) type of filtration 3) types of plants 4) were there snails?

In the absence of fish, bacteria will still be present. The amount of bacteria is related to the amount of "food" ie decaying plant material

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.