The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plant ID help!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lamiskool 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a lot of plants and dont remember exactly what they are...also any advice on if they are "quick growers," require a lot of nutrients/suck up a lot of nutrients, and need a high amount of lighting or low amounts would be very appreciated.

what plant is this?

again waht pant is this?

these are the plants in the front which I hope to carpet the front with, what are they and will they eventually carpet the front by themselves??

http://s160.beta.photobucket.com/user/lamiskool3/media/IMG_6530_zps772a603a.jpg.html

no idea what this is...

are these water sprites?

See less See more
#2 ·
Just quoting to make it easier to ID everything

Not 100% sure but it is one of those chain sword species.

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks a lot like my creeping jenny (also known as moneywort in this hobby) but might be a bacopa of some kind (then again, my plant could be a bacopa as well)

This is glosso. It will generally carpet by itself, but it seems to like a nutritious substrate and higher lighting to get it to really thrive and carpet correctly. I have this stuff going wild in my 5.5

http://s160.beta.photobucket.com/user/lamiskool3/media/IMG_6530_zps772a603a.jpg.html

This is Bolbitis heteroclita. Its hard to grow underwater it seems, and alot of people even with hi-tech setups seem to have difficulty getting this plant to grow. I tried once, and failed. I have no plans of trying again (even though I do like how it looks), it just became too much of a hassle, and I'd rather just have anubias anyways. I myself might try this out again if I ever am doing well with everything else, but its a challenge, so gl with it.

Not watersprite (which is a fern), but Water Wisteria (Hygrophilia difformis). Very nice, lush growing plant, that will take over and grow like a weed if you let it. I hear it can be done in low-tech tanks, but I have it in a dirted hi-tech tank and it grows like there is no tomorrow. A great beginner plant for sure. Yours seems to still be transforming to its aquatic form, but once that is done expect to trim it back a lot, doing so encourages the plant to grow more sideshoots anyways.
Hope that helps, what substrate are you using and what lighting level are you and all that?

#3 ·
Just quoting to make it easier to ID everything

Hope that helps, what substrate are you using and what lighting level are you and all that?
Thanks a lot! that helps a bunch. My substrate is eco-complete and I also have recently added pfertz root tabs in the substrate. I also dry dose the tank with fertilizers now. I run two 65W 6500K flourescents at the moment but have room in my ballast for two more. My tank is only 55gallons so 130Watts I believe is more then enough. I was wondering with all my plants and tank size would a K rating of 6500K or 10000K be better since I have both. Also the tank is injected with Co2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.