The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plant option for growing on driftwood and extending out of watertending abou

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Centromochlus 
#1 · (Edited)
The base of the driftwood in my tank extends above the tank rim:

I would like to have a bushy, green plant go there. Would an Anubias with its roots in the water grow nicely above the water line? If not - any other options? I would rather not cover the wood with sphagnum moss and plant a terrestrial aroid or something - as I like the appearance of the wood. Also - I don't want anything incredibly tall as the light isn't elevated much higher than the top edge of the wood.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
With it being exposed to open air an anubias wouldn't fare well there. Maybe if your water level was lower and the walls of the tank provided some pockets for humidity to build up...but as it is now it probably won't work. You can try a ton of different emergents though like limnophilas, and aluminum plant.

#4 ·
I think that a buce could work, or an anubias, put personally, I think I would go a different route and try h.pinnatifida, which I am assuming can grow emersed and which can apparently root to the wood.

#5 ·
H. pinnatifida is an interesting suggestion - I have that growing in the tank at the base of the wood. Although, I would prefer something with more compact growth for the wood.

I don't know much about bucephala - I will have to look into them.

Too bad about the Anubias.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.