Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
The tank is three years old in its current state,except for the fish. There are eight harliquins and one Gourami. Also one stunted pleco at about two and a half inches. (the current fish have been in for a year, after I finally got rid of the "free guppies".
The Test was done with about a nine days between water changes. What had happened was my son "fed the fish" and I had the automatic fish feeder set with too high of a feeding twice a day. When I had finally figured out what was going on with the feeding, there was some mold growing on some food. So I did a 50 percent change, siphoning all the food out, and had to go to work for a week and hope.
Also I have a biowheel which I cant stand, its noisy and the wheels stop turning. I have crutched the bio filter along with a bio bag in one of the two sections of the HOB filter. I still have the biowheels but I am sure I loose any bacteria when they stop.
The plan is to keep a close watch on the ammonia and swap to a canister filter soon, when funds allow.
I did another 20% change in the water this morning and put fresh filter media in the HOB. The last media was a week old, after the food problem.
I am glad the tap water was mentioned, because I havent tested in a long time, and things may have changed. Matter of fact I will start testing everytime before a waterchange.