Bucephalandra's Love em or hate em? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Bucephalandra Love em or hate them.
Neutral, I reserve judgement until I have further experience 13 32.50%
Love them, These are not a fad, well worth the money 23 57.50%
Hate them, I can't stand looking at them and the prices are outrageous 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bucephalandra's Love em or hate em?

I was wondering if it's just me, but I don't understand the popularity of the Buce. I've seen a few macro shots of emersed grown specimens that look nice, but I have yet to see an attractive aquascape utilizing these. From what I understand they are tiny, and slow growing. They always look gnarled, like a struggling plant, with ruffled leaves that in every photograph look damaged even if they are not. It may just be me, but give me a crypt any day over one of these Buce's! So I'd like your opinion, are they really that great or just a fad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

I like them but prefer other plants like Crypts. There are a few scapes here on TPT with Buces that look pretty great.

That said, Buces also tend to be illegally or questionably collected and I'm staying away from them until they're widely tank cultured with no controversy.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

After having 14 different var. and getting 4 to flower I have some definite thoughts.

Keeping Buce for most people is like forcing a square peg in a round hole. These are marginal plants that live on the edges of fast(er) moving steams that flood regularly. They also cling to to rocks in water fall type nitche-environments.

Both of these bio-types are very rare in the hobby. Len has managed to create that Bio-Type. Lbacha's "Borneo Stream Biotope" terrarium (Lot of new pics 11/30) Look at post #362

I have one B. 'Sintang' left at this time. I'm attempting to culture in in a Ebb/Flow Aquaponic system to stimulate wet dry cycles like it's native bio-type. I have it low enough in the Grow Bed that is is submersed 7Xs a day.

Sorry I couldn't fit my thoughts into your survey choices. I would say great little Terrarium plant not suited for an Aquarium.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You both bring up some great points I hadn't thought of before. Len's biotope/type does look pretty amazing. If you cherish the buce's for their suitability as a terrarium plant feel free to mark down a "love them".
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

Waiting to try one when there are more aquarium cultivated specimens here in the States.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think some like the "kedagang" are super gorgeous, and I've been watching prices so I can eventually snag some. I like that many of them have a "shine" to their leaves, but since I have no experience and have never seen one in person I'll reserve judgement.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
After having 14 different var. and getting 4 to flower I have some definite thoughts.

Keeping Buce for most people is like forcing a square peg in a round hole. These are marginal plants that live on the edges of fast(er) moving steams that flood regularly. They also cling to to rocks in water fall type nitche-environments.

Both of these bio-types are very rare in the hobby. Len has managed to create that Bio-Type. Lbacha's "Borneo Stream Biotope" terrarium (Lot of new pics 11/30) Look at post #362

I have one B. 'Sintang' left at this time. I'm attempting to culture in in a Ebb/Flow Aquaponic system to stimulate wet dry cycles like it's native bio-type. I have it low enough in the Grow Bed that is is submersed 7Xs a day.

Sorry I couldn't fit my thoughts into your survey choices. I would say great little Terrarium plant not suited for an Aquarium.

Are you saying that you lost the other 13 varieties you had? If that's what your saying, that sucks! I'm sorry for your loss.

That being said, I humbly have to disagree with Bucephalandra not being suited for the aquarium. I have plants that have been submerged for close to 2 years now. And despite being neglected from me, have been doing well.

Yes Edub, some Bucephalandra have to be seen in person to truely appreciate their beauty.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think they are awesome personally. I also like crypts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank VIP

I agree that they are awesome. They are fairly new, and an overpriced plant for the time being until theres more of them to be had. But they are a beautiful contribution to the hobby. I also agree that they are good aquarium plant as ive had some submergent for nearly two years as well. as for looks in a tank, or aquascaping goes, just look at how terrible this tank looks. I think he should just give it to me its so ugly...

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thre...of-bliss.7326/
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

That is one of my favorite scapes, I love the epiphytic feel.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
That is one of my favorite scapes, I love the epiphytic feel.
Agreed. That's incredible, amazes me every time I see it.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
Are you saying that you lost the other 13 varieties you had? If that's what your saying, that sucks! I'm sorry for your loss.

That being said, I humbly have to disagree with Bucephalandra not being suited for the aquarium.....
Yes, that was depressing.

I made the error of adding a few Jewel Orchids to the emersed tank I was keeping them in. That introduces some type of small bug and I got got some black mold. I move some to submersed tank but I ended up loosing them. During that time I did have two var. in Submessed culture. They never had the growth rate that the emessed plants did.

My thoughts on the suitably for long term Aquarium use is strictly my opinion. Somewhat based on my experiences. I had Very Positive in emersed growth with high humidity /air temp. and modest to poor growth submersed. Also, studying videos of natural environment.

I feel this is one of those Survive vs. Thrive situations. I just don't feel that Buce will Thrive full submersed for extended periods.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

I love this plant the new leaves have all kinds of different colors from blue to red to pink to yellow they have so many color combinations and some are iridescent like nanga pinoh and all those shine species althought I will admit that they hate changes in enviroment and will succumb to mold very eassily but they flower more frequently than any other plant even when fully emerged so I love this plant
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

DogFish, I've heard Buces do really well in high light/CO2. Maybe they're not as hardy as anubias or crypts.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

Well, I enjoy them. As a newbie, I wanted a hardy plant that isn't very finicky and had diversity. If you want to try one, I'd suggest Bucephalandra sp. Gigant.

I had to remove one of my gigants because they were growing too fast in the background and actually pushed the midground plants forward. Also, after a full 90% trim to my tank, two of them are showing 6 inch leaves within a week.

Still working on my tank...it's tough, but I feel this plant a lot more forgiving than most for someone new to planted tanks. I went the hard way by wanting to go soil instead of tied to rocks.... I think it'll look nice in the end.

Tank 1 - Elysium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode