The Planted Tank Forum banner

Has anyone tried the bulbs from wally world?

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  james1542 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the bulbs from wally world?

#2 ·
Nah, because I prefer to hit HomeDepot right down the street from me for bulbs to use in my T8 shop fixture on my 55 gallon tank. I mean I pay something like $8 for a 2 pack of 4' 6500k bulbs, which sure beats going to Wally Mart, because I'd spend more going there because it's like 5 miles away, and my 2002 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9l V8 is a gas monster lol.

#3 ·
JerSaint,
Are you refering to live plant bulbs like these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Life-...ton-Bulbs-Pets-1-ct/10403219?findingMethod=rr

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10403220?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=13684314910&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

I have not tried those, but I did try the ones from petco that have the "lily", Aponogeton and onion. Many did not sprout, however on the back of the package they say to send them any bulbs that don't sprout. I sent them back about 5 bulbs, they sent me about 17 mixed bulbs! I was more than happy with the purchase and would do it again, even if I start out buying dead bulbs, as they will be replaced several times over.

#4 ·
Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks Acro thats what I was looking for. I hope to try sprouting a few of these to fit in the gaps as a cheap option, until I can decide and afford the specimen plants I want.
Thanks also for the reply to xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx.

#6 ·
My very first live plant came from one of those packs! I still have my dwarf lilly and its babies. There was an onion bulb that came in the pack too, and rotted, so I threw it out. It's best to start them in a separate container of water in case that happens.

#9 ·
LOL I was too at first until I read some of the replies.....

Anyways prior to finding this site on some tanks a good while back (we're talking 10 years or so give or take) I purchased a few packs from there...

I got one out of one package to sprout which died quite quickly after, the other pack was full of duds, so I just never tried them again, if you do try them and they work I would be interested to hear it, besides they are only what $3.97 or something?

#12 ·
I got two if them about 2 weeks ago. they are still floating around the surface of the tank. they are firm and not soft or mushy.

should I just leave them? I was under the impression they would have sunk by now.

#13 ·
I got a couple lilly bulbs and a pack of aponogeton bulbs about 4 weeks ago.

One lily bulb went mushy after a couple weeks so it got trashed and the other lily bulb finally sprouted a few days ago. It was still floating when it sprouted.

The aponogeton bulbs have done nothing but are still firm. Some have sank and some are still floating.

I would just give it time.

#14 ·
both my lily bulbs are in the trash, just floated for weeks, went soft and much

#15 ·
I use to buy these as a kid, I liked the Aponogeton best, nice lush green leaves..did amazing in low tech.. i think it's A. ulvaceous. The Lilys always had small leaves for me, and occasionally sent up the pads-not as great as the Apons. Might have to try these again... I seem to remember it took about a month for the bulbs to start growing, and usually a few in the pack would be duds. Floating for a little while is not a big deal, but they should sink after a few days.. Inspect the packages for mold before you buy them!

#18 ·
The OP has inspired me, I went down the street and got a pack of the "hardy Aponogeton". I think there are about 6 bulbs in there. For 3.50 this will be some cheap thrills. Most of them floated at first, but this brought me back to my youth, where the secret was, the wipe away any surface bubbles, and if there is an air pocket in the bulb(soft spot) squeeze it underwater to force out the air. They all promptly sank, and hopefully in a few weeks I'll have some sprouts!

P.S. I love how some people are still commenting on light bulbs from walmart! Read the threads people!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.