The Planted Tank Forum banner

Moss - strangleholds on tanks

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  vincenz 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have only recently gotten into the planted aquariums and am looking for some advice. Last year I purchased some Christmas Tree Moss hoping to have it create an nice effect on a rock I had placed in the tank. Now, I realize that Christmas Tree isn't the best option for this but it leads into my question rather well. You see, within a few weeks the moss was growing all over the tank. But it was stringy and not really attaching to anything. It was clogging up my filter, and making things difficult. Is there a way to prevent moss from getting that far out of hand?

Also, I am starting a new tank with some soil as a substrate. I am looking for recommendations for good plants that would be "easy on the eyes."

#5 ·
Keep up with trimmings, like noted above. Instead of tying the moss down, you could also cover it with a mesh-like material. That way when it grows through, you can lift it up and trim easier.
But as far as plants that you want to add go, it all depends on what you want. Are you wanting all green? maybe some red here and there? long leaves, rounded leaves? You can always start out with some Ludwigia, since that's pretty common and fairly easy to keep up with. Maybe some Anubias or java fern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.