The Planted Tank Forum banner

marsilea minuta.

12K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Kathyy 
#1 ·
I'm considering adding this to my Mini M as a background plant. Does anyone know if there is a way to encourage it to push the tall four leaf clover leaves opposed to the thick ground cover?

Thanks,
-Andrew

#5 ·
Nope they will produce lobes underwater. In my tank sometimes long runners pop 4 lobed fronds out of Staurogyne or C. wendtii that is shading the growing point but they end up growing just tall enough to get into the light.

Outside the fronds float on the water surface unless crowded out of the water.

#11 ·
Marsilea Minuta is a very slow grower even under the most perfect conditions. It will grow slightly taller under low light, but not much. There are actually more than one species of marsilea that can be found growing emersed and submerged. Not all of which grow the classic for leaf clover.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#13 ·
That is what happens with my Marsilea. Mine has fronds about the size of a pencil eraser and is probably not minuta.

It grew so fast it was piling on top of itself so I had a double layer last week. Lower dark green single lobes and taller olive green multiple lobes. Cut it down and will see what happens next!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.