The Planted Tank Forum banner

Crypt Club

163K views 831 replies 165 participants last post by  Matt69 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the place to talk about Cryptocorynes. Ask questions, share growing secrets, post your successes, worry about your melting crypts, and to help fellow site members. Don't worry about staying on topic ...as long as it's about crypts...it is the topic.

Please start with a list of your current Sp. So others may know who to ask about individual sp.

Bankanensis 'Dwarf'
Becketti
Bullosa 'Sarakei'
Bukit Ibam 'Yellow-Ring'
Bukit 'Merah'
Cordata 'Blassii'
Cordata 'KR01'
Cordata 'Rosainberg'
Ferruginea
Cordata 'Thailand'
Hundorio
Keei 'Jambusan'
Longicaudia 'Pudimgbesar'
Minima
Moehimannii
Nevelli
Noritoi
Nurri
Parva
Pygmea
Striolata
Usterianna x Walkeri
Walkeri-Lutea
Wendetti 'Red'
Zukalii

See less See more
#3 ·

"This brand new Cryptocoryne, is a Cultivar, created from a mutation in the wild of the C.cordata species, and bred to grow to this rare Flamingo pink colour. Because it is produced in a Tissue Culture laboratory, it is supplied in a plastic culture dish, but can be readily rooted by the Hobbyist, and will grow and spread out, over a matter of 2-3 months. ''

Your thoughts???

#6 ·
I see you posted my thread on nurii leaf variations I need to update it with new pics, I've finally figured out what's happening the leaves are starting with long petioles and rounder light green leaves as the leaf matures its getting really broad and dark colored and really looks a lot like a wendetti leaf grown under high light, I have it growing right next to a wendetti mi oya and the mature leaves are almost identicle other than some dark hashes on the nurii..

Len

Len

#9 ·
Nice start guys. I dont have the time to jump on board right away, but I will find the time this weekend. Speedie, I do have a Flamingo left but its a sorry little tiny piece but it has put out 3 leaves this month so its at least finally acclimated and growing. In 3-5 short I should have a full size plant :)

#16 ·
I am positive, I will show you some picks, the center of the plant has leaves just like is did when I got it from you and the outside older leaves look very similar to the wendetti red/ mi oya next to it, I actually need to trim some leaves that have a little bba on them so I'll do a macro shot of each tomorrow, this is why I started the thread in the first place because the leaves are so different than any pictures I have seen other than in the wild, I will say my wendetti leaves are a lot broader and more colorful than most I've seen, I'm sure it is the extremely high light I have ten under.

By the way Nick I'm going to send you a PM at some point I have some questions on shrimp, I'm thinking of starting a couple tanks for them.

Len

#21 ·
Nick

Here are the pics of the nurii 'pahang mutated' and wendtii red/mi oya while not completly the same they are close. If you look close at the nurii leave you will see it still has the nurii markings,

Comparison

Large Nurii leaf

Large C wendtii Mi Oya

Small nurii leaf

I just ripped alot of stuff out of my aquarium so I can't get a shot of the plant right now I need it to clear up

Len

#23 · (Edited)
My crypts:

C. walkeri var. lutea
C. crispatula var. balansae
and I think C. nurii? maybe wendtii? I need to get an ID on this guy, the LFS doesn't exactly label their plants all that well.

The tank I keep them in is here: my 30 gal.

They are all grown submersed. I have had the lutea for about 5 years and it is the king of the tank :)

#24 ·
Len,

That's a crazy looking Nurii leaf bro. It don't look anything like any Nurii I've ever grown, for sure.

The small leaf, yes. The large leaf, I would probably call it a wendtii myself if I didn't know. Could it be that you're growing these two plants next to each other and the wendtii is having some sort of genetic influence on the Nurii? Is that even possible? lol

#27 ·
Go look at the pics of the wild nurii it looks a lot like that leaf, my guess is it's how it grows under high light, I have some other nurii 'pahang mutated' from tissue cultures that I'm going to put in there and see what it does, it's emersed right now so I should be able to see what leaves it forms as it transitions, I'm hoping the affinis "red metallic" I just got looks like it does in the wild as well..

Len

#26 ·
I haven't been able to find a pic like it in a tank I have pics of the wild nurii 'pahang mutated' that look similar but wider leaves, I want to lower the light in my tank but can't bring myself to do it. I just started a major rescale I pulled all the stems except for a couple h pinnatifida an removed most of the wendtii an moved some back. The whole front will be nurii, keei and affinis now. I need a background plant what would be a good 18-20" crypt I might use, preferably something not too common. I'm also considering a macranda red or ludwigia red. Oh yeah I also put one of the C ideii in the tank too, it needs to go back to a crypt cube like it started the stems and java fern took it over though..

#29 ·
Here is my current list as of today:
Cryptocoryne beckettii
Cryptocoryne crispatulae var. balansae
Cryptocoryne lucens
Cryptocoryne lutea
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne petchi
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
Cryptocoryne walkeri
Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Red’
Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Bronze’
Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Mi Oya’
Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Green’
Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘De Wit’
Cryptocoryne willisii
Cryptocoryne willissi x lucens

#31 ·
PLEASE make the distinction of your cryps being grown submersed and emersed.

I would also like to know how long each of your cryps has been in your aquarium, that way we can judge if some of these less common ones are really suitable for the aquarium or not. Are any in your tanks for over a year?

The only way to accurately identify any Cryp specie is by its flower, "spathe", and cryps only flower above water. When you look at the leaves, there are dozens of species that look almost identical. Serious collectors grow to flower. I am not a serious collector.

Here is a list of cryps I have grown underwater for a year or more:

lucens
lutea
willissii
albida brown
cordata/blassi
balansae
retrospiralis
spiralis
parva
wendtii sp: brown/red, tropica/bronze, green, mi oya, Florida sunset
affinis
petchii
pontederiifolia
ciliata
Moehlmannii
usteriana
aponogetifolia
minima
undulata wide leaf

Cryps I have tried to grow underwater UNSUCCESSFULLY

griffithii
nurii
tonkinensis
lingua

#38 ·
PLEASE make the distinction of your cryps being grown submersed and emersed.

I would also like to know how long each of your cryps has been in your aquarium, that way we can judge if some of these less common ones are really suitable for the aquarium or not. Are any in your tanks for over a year?

I'm pretty happy people are posting their lists. :big grin:

I guess if this will be the omnibus crypt thread that is a valid request, I'll edit my list. I'm not so sure that how long one keeps a crypt is a true measure. Plants can survie quasi dormant for a long time or they can flourish very quickly. People's commitment to plants change over time. Better to keep a plant thriving for 6mos and move on to other Sp. than to have a plant struggle to hold on for 18mos.

I would offer all crypts are "suitable" for aquaculture. I think NOT all aquaculturests are suitable for the less common varieties. :big grin:

Thanks for posting you lists!

#32 ·
The C nurii I was talking about is submersed it is defiantly nurii as I got it from Nick and it's been confirmed by many as nurii so far it has been in my tank 6 mints and it is 4-5 times the size it was originally with plantlets starting to pop up so C nurii 'pahang mutated' is definatly a good submersed choice. I like the idea o giving some stats with you crypts to see how different people are growing them

Len

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.