The Planted Tank Forum banner

lbacha's Emersed Setup (Lots of pics enjoy)

49K views 221 replies 38 participants last post by  johnson18 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I was running out of room in my tank and I really didn't want to set-up another tank in my aprtment so I went a different route and bought a cheap home depot rack and some lights and some nusery flats with humitity domes, I also have a rubbermaid container on the ground for some larger plants. Here is a pick of the overall set-up I will post some pics of the specific plants as I go.

#90 ·
So here are some new shots

My new humidity and temp gauge (it has a remote sensor)

C cordata 'thailand" this is doing really well 3 new leaves in the last couple weeks

C usteriana x walkeri (this is a nice crypt)

My new Macodes petola orchid (its hanging out in my emersed tank above the water, it will be part of my borneo terrarium, the plant I got was huge and made 5 smaller pots.

Len

#92 ·
Definitely, I didn't realize how much I was getting when I ordered it, it came from Puerto Rico and the guy told me it was overgrown he wasn't kidding, lol.. I had to repot it because I want to see it spread out and grow larger leaves. Let me know if you want to trade for it or maybe use it to build up some credit towards one of your C hudorio's when they are ready again.

Len

#93 ·
I'll send you a PM bro. I actually got one sittin right here for ya if you're really up for trades.

btw, since that plant's an orchid, I suppose it don't need to be in a humid environment to thrive right? How big does it get? Gimmi some basics on it.

#94 ·
Actually I think this one does need to stay humid that's why I got it. Mike Lo (jungle mike) had a picture of it next to some bucephelandras and i thought it would be a great addition to the Borneo biotope terrarium im planning. it doesn't get too big from the research I've done and it's considered fairly easy, its actually grown for it's leaves not ist flower, it also a terrestrial orchid so it would probably do ok in one of your 10 gallons as long as you keep it in a pot above the water level.

Len

#106 ·
Well everyone, I got a couple neat new plants and two of my Buces are about to flower (yipee) my first aroid other than my big peace lily and anthuriam to bloom.

Shine Green blooming

Shine Blue flowering

My new B 'Red Gaia'

My new B 'Blue Wave'

My new monster B 'Green Velvet' don't let anyone tell you all buces are small this thing is huge and its all one plant

Here is the whole collection, I didn't take any close-ups yet but there is my new piptospatha sp in the front there. Now to grow these out so I can stock my terrarium project with them.

Len

#107 ·
It looks like they came to you in good condition.

bucephalandras flower easily. I have a few sp. flowering immersed and 2 flowering submerged. Both green and blue shine were immersed before I sent them to you.

As for the piptospatha, I potted the plant the same way as the bucephalandra. But the pots are elevated. I am not sure if I should submerge their roots since I dont see this too often in the photos from jungle Mike. Check with Steve to see how he is growing his piptospatha when you get a chance.

#109 ·
Some pics of what I came home to last weekend the buces seem to like their new home, flowers and new plantlets the piptospatha is sending up new leaves and the macodes is just cool looking, also some follow-up pictures of the flower on the shine blue (the shine green flower hasn't opened yet so no new pic)

B N sanggau 2 with little plantlet starting

My new Piptospatha sp. it came with three leaves and one just starting to open now that is open and an additional leaf is coming up, all in a little over a week.

My Macodes petola (Jewel orchid) I have 4 more on their way these things are neat little additions

And last but not least the B 'shine blue' flowering (such a delicate little flower) and such a nice shade of pink.

Enjoy Len

#110 ·
Nice shots Len
The plants are definitely liking their new home. I've also noticed that piptospahta's growth rates are a lot faster than buce.

You might already know but I just found out that some piptospahtas are grown submerged in the rainy season. I'm just not too sure how long they can survive submerged. Unlike buce, their leaves does not appear to be designed to withstand rapid currents

#117 ·
Well my emersed set-up is getting a little full with both emersed plants and terrestrials sitting on top of the emersed pots (I fugure why waste space) Here are some pics of my Jewel orchid collection.

Anoectochilus formosanus

Anoectochilus geniculatus

Dossina hybrid

Macodes Petola

Macodes sanderiana

Here is a shot of my piptospatha with some new roots growing

As well as my experiment planting a foam rock (I used aquarium water to soak it hoping that is enough nutrients)

Len

#123 ·
I actually just ordered some Christmas moss to put on them, I also want to get some Taiwan moss, all I have right now is java and I wanted to go with something different , I do like the way it looks on the rock, now to see how it grows on there, the latest IAS newsletter has a great article about the different rock types in Borneo and what aroids grow on them I'll send I'd your way

Len

#129 ·
awesome setup len but we need detail shots!!

I Know I am asking a lot... But can you get a shot of your aglaonema while youre at it? Gordon is lagging it... Hehe
I'll post some pics this weekend, They are similar in color to L thwaitsii (I got a few of them from him too) their leaves are just broader and the minima has about 4" leaves on 3-4" petioles and the simplex has 5-6" leaves on 4-5" petioles. I'm not sure if these are full grown or if they will change leaf color over time but they kinda look like large piptospatha leaves.

I'll take some shots of the flats, I just converted one to having 1.5" of worm castings in the bottom and crypts planted directly into the substrate. I'm cureous to see how it works and the short containers on the bottom each have a layer of sphagnum moss with a differnt moss on them (Taiwan, peacock and UG and I have christmas coming). The two aquariums on the one shelve are currently a blackwater crypt emersed set-up and a grow out tank for my buces. The big tupperware under the 40b is full of H pinnatifida stems. (If anyone needs some let me know)

Len

#130 ·
I have alot of pics to post but I wanted to start with what may be my favorite plant at the moment. An added perk is it's endemic to Borneo and will be a key attraction in my Borneo paludarium.

Here it is

Dossinia Marmorata var dayii

One of the reasons I think its a great addition for this thread is alot of orchid growers struggle with them but these things love the conditions in our emersed setups as long as you keep them above the water line so the substrate doesn't stay soaked all the time. I'm starting to do cuttings of some of the others I have and I actually have a few of these so I'm hoping to have some soon to do some trades or sell.

Len

#132 ·
I've never been a huge orchid fan and I ran across this while researching my Borneo set-up (Thanks Mike Lo) and I figured it would be a cool addition, now that I have them they are kinda addictive. Its a fight for space right now between the different plants I collect, I need to go Xue's route and start building a greenhouse if only I had some property, lol...

Len

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.