lbacha's Emersed Setup (Lots of pics enjoy) - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

check out my new substrate it is a small version of normal hydroton (in the pic for refrence)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326749412.177297.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	40306
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I have used this with less than satisfactory results. mine was straight hydroton (the small stuff). Are you going to ammend it or try to curculate water column ferts through it?
post #153 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
I have used this with less than satisfactory results. mine was straight hydroton (the small stuff). Are you going to ammend it or try to curculate water column ferts through it?
I have a couple crypts and lagenandra in the larger size and they have done good I just planted some bolbitis and java fern in it to how it does
post #154 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Well you are obviously quicker than me I planted a few small crypts in it and they didnt do good. I bet the bigger stuff like laganandra, bigger crypts and ferns would do good tho.
post #155 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Len - You are so cutting edge!!!
post #156 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Not really cut in edge but I like to experiment, and I have a mix of big and small crypts right now (ill take some pics tommorrow) I do add fertz to my water, I think the smaller will be easier, I'm really looking for a substrate that is easy to plant in and clean off the plant when you split it. I am serif some promising results in the tray of worm castings with wendtii planted in it

Len
post #157 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

I know a Russian collector that uses hydroton for most of his rare Anubias. The results are astounding. You can dig up his thread at apc

Any updates on your plants grown in rock wool? I just bought a 1x4 slab and currently have some Anubias growing on it. I know that commercial growers use this stuff but I want to know how well this works from a hobbyist standpoint. Did you have to dose to the water column regularly?

-
-
post #158 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah the Russian is who inspired me to use hydroton. As for rock wool it worked great for java fern but I've had less than stellar results with crypts, I really struggled with fertz I either went too high and had algae issues or too low and no growth, I'm having much better results with hydroton so I'm going to use rockwool to grow ferns and stuff like that.

Len
post #159 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have used several different types of substrates for emersed culture of anubias and what I see working the best in my situation is flora-max. I believe using it is very similar to using hydroton , the flora max is just irregularly shaped but otherwise the effect is the same. A stable substrate with excellent CEC, and rainage capacity. I have been adding those root fertilizer capsules to the substrate also.

I have enjoyed aquatic/bog aroids for 45 yrs in this hobby, beginning with Cryptocoryne and later Anubias, followed by a host of others I never knew existed ten years ago . One thing I wonder about is the intensity and duration of light we give these jungle floor water loving aroids. I keep thinking we are giving them too intense light when we are growing them emersed. Many of my crypts when grown emersed take on a bronze color, and pattern. In the case of C spiralis its a pretty dramatic change. I grow my aroids in humidomes under 6500 k t8 fluorescent lights about 8 in above the top of the humidome. What would happen if i cut the light in half? by 3/4?

Dan Poliak, a killifish hobbyist from France once told me he has Anubias in all his killie setups and ran a rather weak light for 4 hrs a day.

Just wondering what everyone else's experiences are. Sorry if i am hijacking the thread a bit, I wish we had a place to store all our aroid threads so we wouldnt have to look all over for them. I keep finding posts I have missed because of the shear size of this site and the rapid frequency people post.

Klaus
post #160 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is just my opinion. I think when using rockwool, it is better to use it in emersed culture. I find the results underwater less than satisfactory. I think that has to do with the relatively good flow of water through the rockwool in emersed culture as opposed to the worse flow of water through rockwool in submersed culture. Now when I get a plant grown in rockwool and I want to grow it submersed, i remove the plant from the rockwool and put it in a different substrate.

Klaus
post #161 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Len,
Is that smaller hydroton whats being sold at the local box store in the reptile section?
post #162 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Klaus,

Your definitely not high jacking the thread and thanks for the input, I have wondered as well about light intensity and I'm planning to get a dimable t5 for my terrarium so I can experiment. The hydroton was from a company called repotme which is an orchid supplier. I'm not sure if it's the same as what they sell in the pet stores for reptiles. I like it a well because it's less messy to repot plants with I'm going to test adding root tabs but it may work better with just adding ferts to the water. I agree with the spirals my emersed plant is completely different than what I've seen submersed. I Agree we could have an aroid forum all it's own because there are some neat terrestrial ones as well.

Thanks again and keep posting I'll put some shots up this weekend I haven't been home in 2 weeks so I'm sure there will be some suprises in my tanks (hopefully all good)

Len
post #163 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was going to try adding peat moss with aquasoil and eco complete equal amounts--my thinking is that the eco will give me the CEC and the peat would buffer the ph--talking buce here some are grown in 3-4 ph some nutral in the home land. Maybe there is a "clock" that needs to be awakened in the plant and this would do it.
{just a thought}
Bruce
post #164 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I posted alot of plant pics in my terrarium thread so you can check them out there these are the ones that arn't going to make it into the terrarium.

A pot full of Macodes petola

A container full of Macodes petola plantlets

Here is a goodyera sp.

Here is a tray of UG that I have check out all the little flowers on it.

Here is a Schismatogottis sp. "Frosty Kiss"

And finally a bucket of H pinnatifida and A reinekii (There are a couple Staurogyne "purple" in there now.

Enjoy Len
post #165 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank VIP

What are going to use as a growing medium? Or are you going to switch it up per each plants needs?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode