Banana Plant - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Banana Plant

I have heared everything from everyone about how to plant a banana plant, twp people at the fish strore siad to plant all of the banana while the other guy said to jsut let it sink to the bottom. I have also heared to plant only the bottom half of the bananas. What is the correct way of planting it?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have had great growth planting the bottom half only. Plus it's tubers are what gives it it's unique look and it's name.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I have seen pictures where Takashi Amano has used it and he seems to plant the tubers completely under the substrate. There is no sign of them at all. The only reason I know for sure it is Anubias nana is because the name is given. I am guessing that planting them completely under the substrate won't hurt the plant, but then again, he could have just hidden the roots behind something.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Algae Grower

Banana plant, Nymphoides aquatica is not Anubias nana, but people ask the same type question regarding planting it's rhizome in the substrate. I think it will grow well either way, even on the substrate. It a matter of preference, if you want to see the "bananas." I heard it prefers cooler water.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Man
Banana plant, Nymphoides aquatica is not Anubias nana, but people ask the same type question regarding planting it's rhizome in the substrate. I think it will grow well either way, even on the substrate. It a matter of preference, if you want to see the "bananas." I heard it prefers cooler water.
i think he meant, the only reasone he can tell it isnt anubias nana...

Anubias nana! do not plant the rhizome in the substrate, ever! it will rot and die on you.
or are you talking about Banana plant?

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode