The Planted Tank Forum banner

Name this Plant ?

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Momotaro 
#1 ·
The tall green one in the center of the photo. Very delicate leaves, looks almost like an aponogeten type leaf but grows on stems if you look closely at the photo.
Any ideas ?

See less See more
#6 ·
Steve, now that you mention it I think it was Boun that sent it to me. I couldnt remember who it was. He didnt know what it was and I really dont think its A. crispus. I had some of that a long time ago (at least that is what it was sold as) and it resembles it, but the detail in the leaf pattern is different and the stems are much thinner.
I have googled my brains out, scanned through the books and looked at sites and I just cant seem to find anything that cinches it for me.

#10 ·
It definately grows long tall and fast... and pearl ? Heck Yeh, it started to in that photo as a matter of fact. Although I have the CO2 crankin and everything is pearling like crazy, even the dwarf sags... LOL
Its got to be some kind of Potamogeten , I cant seem to find a photo of which. I tried the malaianus Magnus... no luck with a photo. It definately aint that one you pictured Mike.

#12 ·
It sure as heck looks a lot like the Potamogen wrightii picture in Christel Kasselmann's Aquarium Plants. Only difference I can see is that some leaves of P. wrightii will take on a reddish tone (high light requirement assumed).

If not that, then maybe Potamogen schweinfurthii. The novice will shut up now... we're becoming a nuisance! :tongue:

#14 ·
Great call Magnus... :proud:
The third photo is perfect for ID'ing it. The pattern in the closeup of the leaf is exact and the way the leafs branch is the same as well. Many thanks for the photos Magnus, I hate it when I have a plant that I cant ID. After trying to find a plant name and googling my butt off I never realized how many varieties of Potamogeten there really are. If you notice in the photo I posted, my P. Gayi is starting a comeback as well.

Thing is I almost lost this plant and pretty much gave up on it when all hell broke loose in my tank with algae and water quality. It had completely melted and was down to basically 2 stick's with no leaves. :icon_roll
I took the bare stems and put them off to the side and forgot about them. Here it is now about 8 weeks later and this is what has grown from them bare sticks. :proud:
I really like the plant and I was really bummed when the gayi was almost gone too but all is not lost. I still have some Potamogeton Gayi and now know that I have some Potamogeton malaianus

Thanks a ton Magnus ! :proud:

#16 ·
Buck said:
I really like the plant and I was really bummed when the gayi was almost gone too but all is not lost. I still have some Potamogeton Gayi and now know that I have some Potamogeton malaianus
I know this is an old thread but rather than start a new one I thought I'd add to this one. I recently bought a bunch of P. malaianus. Since several people here have reported good things about the gayi, I picked up some of this as well (today).

I am curious Buck as to whether you are still keeping the malaianus. Not much info on the net about it. It is doing well for me after about a week or so. The first Potamogeton species I tried (crispus) did very poorly, but it was in bad shape when I bought it.

#17 ·
Not surprised the P. crispus struggled. I had the plant and struggled with it as well.

My understanding is that P. crispus is more of a cool/cold water plant. A couple of years ago, I picked a whole bunch of P. crispus out of some water lily holding pools at a local garden shop. I got the plants in early April, the water was cold, but the plants were doing well.

I placed them in one of my aquariums. The plants grew a bit, but kind of slowed down and zonked out. Now, the problem could have been the warm water in the aquarium (which I suspect). It may have also been something else. I keep the plant in the same aquarium as S. subulata. I had read somewhere that P. crispus will not do well in the presence of S. subulata. The S. subulata will kill of the P. crispus. I am sure someone with a greater knowledge of this, like Tom Barr, would be able to set me straight.

I guess I introduced too many variables to make a concrete conclusion on my inability to grow P. crispus, but my supposition is the warm water.

Mike

#18 ·
I have the very same plant right here, buck. It does grow quite fast and the floating leaves has a kind of waxy feel to its surface. Kinda reminds me of yummy apple jelly whenever I see this one :)

Btw for the similar but different A.crispus, I find it best to plant in a small pot with laterite soil, then bury it in the substrate. Mine are never so well like today with flowers and lots of leaves.

#20 ·
Potamogeton crispus is also known in the USA as Curly Pondweed. It is found in lakes alll over the USA, but was introduced to this country. It is not native. I have found its needs to be prety simple. I do not know why you would have a problem with it. Temp might be a factor, particularly with plants you pull from outside. The cultivated version that is imported from Asia might be more adaptive to high temps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.