The Planted Tank Forum banner

Carpet Plants ?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  The Dude1 
#1 ·
Rather new to planted tanks, if you guys could help me out that would be freaking amazing. I'm looking for three different carpet plants for my soon-to-be upgraded betta tanks. I'm getting them the Fluval Spec, 2.6 Gallon tank for each of them. They're rather short tanks, so I'd love a short-ish carpet. Less than 3 inches maybe? The Fluval comes with a 31 LED lighting system, not sure how good that is in a 12" tall tank. But I'd like to not have to bother with 3 different C02 set ups for such small tanks. If there are good carpets that pearl without C02 that would be amazing. I love pearling. I don't mind doing things like root tabs, or fertilizers as long as they don't murk up my water.

On a side note, what do you think is the best DIY Barrier? I hope I can have a carpet, and have a little raised area in the back with a ceramic betta log, and some stalk plants, maybe Hygrophila Corymbrosa? But I don't want to spend a bunch on a decorative wall that I have to settle on dimensions with, just a little plastic wall that I can bend to do what I want it to do.

#6 ·
If you don't mind a carpet plant to take a while to fill then monte carlo will be your best bet. I have it in the Spec V and it took about 5 or so months for it to fill and look good without CO2. Also note the Spec V lighting is a lot stronger then it seem as I had to cover it with a screen to reduce the intensity or else I was getting algae but I am not sure about the smaller spec as I do not own it. This was taken June 2nd. Started on Dec 7th 2016

Attachments

#8 ·
The CO2 tablets kinda suck don't bother with them. DIY CO2 is a better route. That being said pearling will be very unlikely if not impossible without any form of CO2 supplementation (Excel and gulteraldehyde products do not count).
Marsilea species may be worth a go as for low-tech carpeters. Riccia and mosses could also work but you will need mesh for them. Or at least for the mosses you will need to tie them to rocks first. Riccia would also be the plant most likely to pearl with limited CO2.
What is the barrier for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I 3rd... or 4th... Monte Carlo and gluteraldehyde and you could do a layer of potting soil and cap it real well if you know where you want your plants. Moving amything will dirty up the water for a day, but Monte Carlo thrives in some dirt and a little gluteraldehyde. Min completely carpeted my 11.4 in a couple months from a 2" x 2" section... it's good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.