The Planted Tank Forum banner

How on earth do you people pick plants!?

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Sharper 
#1 ·
Here's my dilemma...

When it comes to picking plants... I am utterly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of plants available. How do those with FAR more experience than I pick what plants you want to use in your aquariums? I only have experience with anubias, cryptocryne, swords, moss, and algae.

What I'm trying to do is build a 29g show tank (30"w*18"h*12"d) with CO2 and a damn good light, and I know I'm overthinking this whole process which makes the whole matter worse. I know I need some sort of balance, but finding a vision other than MOSS-A-PALOOZA is getting really hard.

What do you guys do to find the inspiration for your show tanks?

#3 ·
I think it all starts with what kind of scape you want. Having a sort of an idea of hardscape can really help dictate what you get. Then you just think about what type of plant you want for each area e.g a red stem at the back or a tape leaved plant in the right corner. Then once you figure our what types you want I just look for what is available to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I took the easy road when I first started. Tried a few I liked the looks of, some flourished and some died. I got more of the ones that flourished and tried some more new ones. Repeat. Life was simple, I just catered to the water I had already. Now I'm dosing ferts and occasionally losing stuff that used to be easy for me, haha. Still learning. As soon as I think I have it figured out my tank serves me a slice of humble pie. Keeps things interesting...

#10 ·
I made a list. Of all the plants that might do well in my conditions (hard water, no c02, relatively low light) - although seems you don't have that limitation- and not get too big for my tank size. Then I looked at tons of pictures, especially in the tank profiles, and narrowed the list down to what I thought was attractive. I started with the plants I could get locally- pet stores and Craigslist, then later ordered online or got from other forum members. So I try some, and see what thrives for me. When I feel like getting new plants again, I still have a few left on my list to go through.

#11 ·
Guess I can only speak from my personal experience. I started with the easy stuff you already mentioned. Then talked to several people on this site, won a few RAOK's, and basically experimented with what would actually grow in my tank. It's can be a long process but so far I am building a list of what I can't grow.

#12 ·
I know! It's hard.

1. Pick what you want, aquascaping-wise (e.g. carpet, grass-y background or bushy or...). I always find this post helpful: https://www.thegreenmachineonline.c...osition-the-golden-ratio-creating-perspectiv/

2. Get a couple types off ROAK that match what you're going for, ignore/remove those that die or don't do well in whatever setup you have*, and keep what thrives (rather than fighting to keep plant X happy because you're committed to plant X)

3. Remember aquascapes can be gorgeous and harmonious with only three species done beautifully (unless you're going Dutch, maybe)

* Every tank is different, and fighting your setup is too mentally draining. Every Hygrophila sp I've tried dies in my 20g dirted, but they love my 3g just sand (no ferts ever). Same water, etc. Go figure.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.