advice needed! plants vains gone brown - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

advice needed! plants vains gone brown

Hi All. Woke up this morning to find my plants vains have gone brown see photos. Was fine last night recently started injecting co2 approx 1 week ago plants seemed to be fine and grow in well up to this morning. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170617_212341(0)_1497731056354.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	765393  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Exactly what are you referring to? I can't quite make it out from the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi sorry I dint realise how bad the photos quality was, it was uploaded from my phone.
Iv uploaded another from my PC, hope itís a little better.
The plant in question is the amazon swords leaves. The veins seem very pronounced and the leaves almost look dry
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170617_212341(0).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	765513  

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ah okay I see it better. What changes have you made other than CO2? What fertilisers do you use? Lighting? A general overview of everything would be good.
BTW those plants with the pink underside next to the Sword I don't think are aquatic.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank is 110l been running for a few months. The fertiliser is jbl ferropol. Lights are 12w fluval aqua sky leds. The pink plants below are hemiographis colorata. Iv had issues with high nitrates no2. So iv added a nitrate pad to the filter. The filter is a fluval 206 canister. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Also was unsure about the java fern and if that's healthy or not. Original when I put the plants in they were doing well and after a month or so the started to turn yellow. Hence the co2 route. They then seemed to become healthy with the addition of co2 until yesterday.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-18-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:01 PM
ate
Algae Grower

I don't see it they look healthy to me . Those are thick veins from all of the nutrients its absorbing. Its fine

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Thats how they collect light also through those square like veins on the leaf

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-20-2017 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If there healthy that's good news. I was concerned that they were unhealthy. Thanks for the post

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

advice needed! plants vains gone brown

Plants need nitrates it is an important nutrient, I would remove the pad removing it. That could be a reason why your plants are looking a bit unhealthy. From what I can see though the Java Fern looks fine, sword fine enough too besides maybe some of the brown tips.
The CO2 probably wasn't needed, both swords and Java Fern don't need it. This will increase their growth rates though so if the plants are looking unhealthy in the future I would look to nutrients first. I can't really check what is exactly in the Ferropol, it doesn't seem to be listed on the JBL website.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/2342/jbl-ferropol

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

It doesn't list the exact concetrations, although I didn't really look very hard. It does say it doesn't add phosphates and nitrates so watch out for those two. These can be provided by fish waste but if you are having problems look at these first.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is there anything you would recommend fertiliser wise or best way to check what I need in nutrients. Thanks

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Errr you can go with dry fertilisers (cheapest route) and follow PPS-Pro regime using a calculator. That way you should be covered on everything. Other than that you could find any commercial fertiliser that supplies nitrogen and phosphate, I think JBL sell an NPK fertiliser, that would work. As for checking what you need, you will just need to watch the plants.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all your advice opare

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is the back of the fertiliser bottle with some detail on nutrients. Is it any good or should I swap to another brand? Any suggestions.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh88 View Post
Hi sorry I dint realise how bad the photos quality was, it was uploaded from my phone.
Iv uploaded another from my PC, hope it’s a little better.
The plant in question is the amazon swords leaves. The veins seem very pronounced and the leaves almost look dry
Thanks
Hi tmh88,

Wecome to TPT!

I didn't see any mention of water hardness, dGH, or mention of dosing a GH booster, Magnesium (Mg,) or calcium (Ca). Unfortunately your profile dose not state where you live so I cannot lookup the local water utility testing results. If you are using RO/DI water I didn't see it mentioned.

I downloaded your picture and blew it up; this is what I saw:

a) it seems to be affecting your older leaves
b) the veins are remaining green but you have interveinal chlorosis (yellowing); notice how the leaves have a 'net-like' look to the leaves with green veins (including the small veins) and yellowish/green leaf material between them?

If this were occurring on new leaf growth I would ssuspect an iron (Fe) deficiency but it seems to be happening on your older leaves so I suspect a magnesium deficiency. I do not see any of the characteristic 'hooking' downward of the leaf tips in the picture so your calcium level seems to be adequate, however watch for leaf tip hooking when you start doing Mg. I use MgSO4 (Epsom Salt) to increase my Mg levels, it is inexpensive and available on the shelves at your drugstore or possibly even your grocery. Adding 1/8 teaspoon per 8 gallons of water will add 2.08 ppm of Mg to your water and will increase the hardness by 0.48 dGH. I would start by adding 1/4 teaspoon per 8 gallons and see if your plants show improvement in color and growth. Then when you do water changes add 1/8 teaspoon MgSO4 per 8 gallons of water added. Keep us posted on how things progress.

Quote:
Interveinal chlorosis. Interveinal chlorosis first appears on oldest leaves.

1. Older leaves chlorotic, usually necrotic in late stages. Chlorosis along leaf margins extending between veins produces a "Christmas tree" pattern. Veins normal green. Leaf margins may curl downward or upward with puckering effect. Necrosis may suddenly occur between veins. Potassium or calcium excess can inhibit uptake of magnesium...magnesium deficiency

When the external magnesium supply is deficient, interveinal chlorosis of the older leaves is the first symptom because as the magnesium of the chlorophyll is remobilized, the mesophyll cells next to the vascular bundles retain chlorophyll for longer periods than do the parenchyma cells between them. Leaves lose green color at tips and between veins followed by chlorosis or development of brilliant colors, starting with lower leaves and proceeding upwards. The chlorosis/brilliant colors (unmasking of other leaf pigments due to the lack of chlorophyll) may start at the leaf margins or tips and progress inward interveinally producing a "Christmas" tree pattern. Leaves are abnormally thin, plants are brittle and branches have a tendency to curve upward.
Attached Images

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0 48"/59W, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum filters; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K, 1X Marineland 350 Magnum filter; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W, Marineland C-220 filter; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit, Marineland C-160 filter; all with Press. CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode