The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plants turning white and melting I'm frustrated

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Krispyplants 
#1 ·
Hello, my tank has been cycling for 6 weeks now. Water parameters are good.

Lights are on for 7hrs a day and my CO2 turns on about 45min before the light turns on and the CO2 turns off approx 45min before the ligh turns off.

I have gone from 45 bubbles a min to about 60 bubbles a min and have fertilized off and on weekly with flourish advance and flourish iron with no difference.

I am having a hard time growing staurogyne repens, and other easy plants.

I now have this thin skin looking stuff attached to some of the plants and it looks like an animal shed it skin. What is it?

I'm starting to get frustrated and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have included some pics to help illustrate what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to add some macros to your dosing, Flourish Advance isn't really a fertiliser but more of a growth stimulator. You probably need to add some micros too, as right now the only nutrient you are providing is iron, so you are missing out on a lot of stuff. Have a look at PPS-Pro or EI dosing, and consider getting dry fertilisers.
Remove all the dying plants/bits of plants that are dying they are going to cause algae growth. Just replant anything that looks healthy. Not sure what that film thing is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If you are going to stick with the Seachem line you need more than just Flourish advance and Flourish iron. you are missing a ton more nutrients. I would suggest going more with an all in one product like NilocG Macro/Micro nutrients. If you do stick with Seachem then this is what you will need and is their recommended dosing schedule. You can see there are a many more that you are not using. I first started out using Seachem line and that included Flourish, Flourish Potassium, Flourish Iron, Flourish Advance, Flourish Phosphorus, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish trace. As you can see there is a ton you need to make sure your plants have everything you need. If you go with an all in one fert all you need it two bottles, one for your macros and one for your micros. DIY EI Liquid Fertilizer| Premium Aquarium Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics This is what I switched to and my plants could not be happier. Oh and the provided link comes with the two bottles you need.

#4 ·
Are you using excel/metricide/h2o2?

fertilization is not the issue here, your tank is 6 weeks old and you have some type of aqua soil.....

Give more details please.

melting is usually not a deficiency, rather than a chem burn or something in the water

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.