The Planted Tank Forum banner

Buying online vs. buying at LFS

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Smooch 
#1 ·
Question:
Being so new to this planted tank thing, and wanting to get it RIGHT when I get my own tank going (my son's 20 gal. is my training tank. LOL), what do you veterans of the hobby recommend when buying plants? I recently have purchased both at the LFS and online (BucePlant.com). The LFS is supposed to be a reputable and popular store, but I think I inadvertently introduced some sort of unidentified organism/fungus/algae into my tank from a plant I purchased from them. The BucePlant order was BEAUTIFUL and healthy. No issues there.

So, what do YOU do? Buy online or at LFS? If online, who do you recommend?

Thanks!

#2 ·
i recommend joining a local club and buying from them. you get to see exactly what you're buying. it's usually in better condition or health than whats at the stores. dont have to worry about shipping. you can ask questions about parameters it's been growing in. you will most likely get more of it for less cost.
then once you're more familiar with different plants and keeping them alive and well, if there is some type of plant in particular that you want that isnt available from a club member you could source it on line.

#4 ·
I've ordered online, purchased at shops and from members of this forum.
The forum member plants have always been the healthiest and quickest to settle in and start growing.

There's always a risk when adding plants and livestock of introducing something undesirable to your tank no matter where you get it.

You can always stick to tissue culture if you want a safer alternative at an increased cost.

#6 ·
I recommend buying from reputable hobbyists (like on this site, or through an aquarium club or various Facebook groups). LFS's, at least the ones I know, like to gouge customers for sub-par plants (and livestock!). Even good LFS's end up having higher prices than you'll get from hobbyists because they have high overhead. Tissue culture can be nice but algae is going to come into your tank one way or another, it's more about keeping your parameters right than keeping your tank as sterile as possible IMO. Plus, you can always dip plants before introducing them to your tank to remove any unwanted guests. Buying from hobbyists and doing that is always going to be cheaper, and (again IMO) more fulfilling than buying from some big company.

#7 ·
There is no such thing as a 100% safe plant, or at least I've never found one. Sooner or later you are going to get something in your tank you don't want that came from a plant. I dip almost all of the plants I put in my tank, some you really can't without killing the plant, and I still get snails, scuds and algae. I track every plant I buy and what happens to it. Even when you find someone that offers great clean plants often it still seems like that are not selling what you are looking for and you are forced to gamble.

Even with clean plants, be prepared to lose plans. Your water parameters, substrate, heat, lights and/or ferts can not and will not be right for all plants. Find what works in your tank and slowly venture out from there. You can spend an awful lot of money on plants but you can also have a beautiful planted tank for very little if you are will to take your time and just stay with the tried and true.

#8 ·
Depends on where you live and what is available locally. Live in a metro area and you may find clubs, etc or an active Craigslist that are not available everywhere. My order of preferred places:
1. Local individuals
2. Local stores, even if higher priced that shipped
3. Shipped from individuals but shipping is always harder on things like plants and fish. Aquabid is not a bad place for fish
4. Shipped from companies that do it full time

Algae and fungus seem to blow in the wind and there are two types of people around. I think I'm stealing this from somebody? There are those who admit they have algae and there are those who lie about it!

#9 ·
You shouldn't shy away or shun local shops but purchase from a variety of places. Local shops have value in supporting your economy and providing jobs to often times hobbyists who need the work. Just find one you like and trust and don't be shy to haggle. Everything is negotiable. Even petsmart I have found to have some pretty interesting plants such as a wide variety of anubias as well as trident Java Fern and tissue culture dwarf hairgrass and other not so common plants. I have also purchased and sold many plants on this forum. When purchasing online make sure it's worth the shipping costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I like buying from the store because you can see the plant you are going to get. I don't like to tissue culture as much because if you are not careful the plants will melt if you just plant them in your tank they need time to become submerged. Most people won't tell you that but I know from first-hand experience. I ordered from offline one time and I was very pleased with it I didn't get tissue culture though I got regular plants in a pot they were very healthy and they were grown emersed so they didn't have algae on them I ordered from Aquarium plants.com

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I vote for tissue culture, although I don't buy them plunk them in my tanks. I let them 'grow up' first to make sure they have solid roots before I even consider putting them near water. This is not for everybody, but there are a few of us around that like dabbling with such things.

My recent adventure of buying plants that are non-tissue culture are solidifying my reasons why I don't. High costs for poor quality.

#12 ·
I vote for tissue culture, although I don't buy them plunk them in my tanks. I let them 'grow up' first to make sure they have solid roots before I even consider putting them near water. This is not for everybody, but there are a few of us around that like dabbling with such things.

My recent adventure of buying plants that are non-tissue culture are solidifying my reasons why I don't. High costs for poor quality.

Do you remove them from the packaging and gel and do it emersed style? I've noticed they seem to rot in the gel but haven't tried to grow them emersed as my tissue cultures always seem to do fine planted in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.