Amazon Sword Max size? - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Amazon Sword Max size?

So I have a few Amazon swords in my 60 gallon tank. 2 of them are massive at least I think. One measures from stock to end of leaf 22". And the leaves are massive. Did not know they got this big. What are some of the largest Amazon swords you all have? My tank is 24" tall for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SubstrateSource likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:07 AM
Algae Grower

I had a few Amazon swords when I had a 45g tall (24" High) tank, The leafs grew to about 30" then out the tank through the gap where the glass cover was in the back. It was about 1 feet outside the tank and flowered. So total about 3 feet before I pulled it out and got rid of it.
clownplanted likes this.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
I had a few Amazon swords when I had a 45g tall (24" High) tank, The leafs grew to about 30" then out the tank through the gap where the glass cover was in the back. It was about 1 feet outside the tank and flowered. So total about 3 feet before I pulled it out and got rid of it.

Wow now that is massive. Ya I will let these grow out of the tank in hopes one flowers. Every since the co2 addition they really exploded.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have had one 24 inches tall with over 40 or so leaves in my 120, it was gorgeous but a bit big.

I ended up selling it to a guy with a 400 gallon.
clownplanted likes this.

Last edited by caique; 04-20-2017 at 05:08 AM. Reason: add
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 AM
Mad Scientist

Originally had 2 Amazon and 2 Melon swords in my 75g tank. Soon realized that was a "big" mistake. Currently have 1 of each. About every 2 weeks I trim out 3-5 of the biggest leaves from the Amazon just to try and keep things looking appropriately sized. Still have 30+ leaves on the Amazon. Yes, if you let them grow unchecked you could easily have 24" long leaves.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have two Amazon Swords that are making life hard on my other plants in my 20. Anyone want two free swordplants?

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
85 gallon stock tank, "pond"
5g low-tech Java Fern jungle.
2.5g +1.2g satellite stream-clay crypt and Fern tank.
20 GallonH Streamsoil dirt tank
Pendant-hooded, LED A19 bulb lighting.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 AM
Planted Member

Mine is growing out of my tank at least 2 feet total. I have so many baby swords, PM if you want some. My sword is a mother plant.
clownplanted likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Apparently they get huge. My big sword is trying to grow out of the tank. Right now it's 24" tall. Did some major trimming on it. I had no idea that when I got the sword plants they would get this big.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have Kleiner Prinz swords. My life is easy
Max size for them is 12", and they get nice reds in younger leaves
clownplanted likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Amazon Sword Max size?

24" high tank. This guy is like 30"+ now lol. This is the same sword in the first pic in the thread. So just 5 days of growth.
This is the second pictured sword in first post. Again 5 days of growth.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Possible it is an Ozelot Sword (Echinodorus ozelot? No plant ID expert so there could be doubt?
ozelot
Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Ozelot Sword Plant
Amazon
Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Amazon Sword Aquarium Plant
I am looking at the spots on the leaves but either way I tend to disagree with the sizes as listed.
I have one with spots and it has reached the top of a 125, sent out several stalks which have grown to the end of the canopy and turned to come back around. The stalk might be around five feet long!!
I do cut some off when they have developed roots. I take these to other tank as I sure don't need any more space hogs in this tank. But I can almost hear them sucking in the nitrate which is a good thing in this tank.
clownplanted likes this.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 04-20-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: correct links
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Amazon Sword Max size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Possible it is an Ozelot Sword (Echinodorus ozelot? No plant ID expert so there could be doubt?
ozelot
Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Ozelot Sword Plant
Amazon
Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Amazon Sword Aquarium Plant
I am looking at the spots on the leaves but either way I tend to disagree with the sizes as listed.
I have one with spots and it has reached the top of a 125, sent out several stalks which have grown to the end of the canopy and turned to come back around. The stalk might be around five feet long!!
I do cut some off when they have developed roots. I take these to other tank as I sure don't need any more space hogs in this tank. But I can almost hear them sucking in the nitrate which is a good thing in this tank.

Ya there is no way max size is 1' 4". Ya it's amazing how fast they grow and how much nitrate they destroy lol. Is for sure a good thing. When I bought them on Amazon were just listed as "Amazon Sword".

Anyone know for sure what specific species these are??

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have broad leaf amazon swords that have grown to be 21" tall, hit the surface of the tank, and I cut the leaves off. They sprout new ones from the base and I just cut the long ones as close to the base as possible. They are massive plants, absolutely NOT recommended unless you plan on removing them or keeping them trimmed. They are pretty though, to me at least. They just get so big!
clownplanted likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This was the part that makes me think Ozelot:
The Ozelot Sword is a hybrid between Echinodorus schlueteri 'Leopard' and Echinodorus barthii, which is what gave it the marbled spots on the elongated green leaves.

The one pictured on that site is about the size that I was sold also as Amazon sword. Plants are harder to ID than fish as there are many more hybrids which has to wind up with lots of totally confused folks.
clownplanted likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Amazon Sword Max size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
This was the part that makes me think Ozelot:

The Ozelot Sword is a hybrid between Echinodorus schlueteri 'Leopard' and Echinodorus barthii, which is what gave it the marbled spots on the elongated green leaves.

The one pictured on that site is about the size that I was sold also as Amazon sword. Plants are harder to ID than fish as there are many more hybrids which has to wind up with lots of totally confused folks.

Just funny how they list the max size so small. It does look similar so you are probably right. Either way it's a nice plant and am curious how much larger it will get in my tank. I just did a major trimming on it a week ago and since has sprouted the huge leaves and just exploded. Never knew these guys grew so fast but you can just see from the first post to now. They love co2 and light for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode