Tissue Culture Cryptocoryne sp. ‘Flamingo’ - Journal update pg 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Tissue Culture Cryptocoryne sp. ‘Flamingo’ - Journal update pg 3

Hey guys,

I grabbed a Cryptocoryne sp. ‘Flamingo’ tissue culture plant off ebay, this will be a journal where I track their progress and share what I find.

This was the ebay listing. The plants only spent one day in the mail, so the they arrived in very good shape. It is a bit warm here in Los Angeles so I was a little nervous. But their roots were very strong, the stems were strong and their leaves tho small, were in great shape and not wilted at all. I think these are great specimens to start with.

I was able to break it into 9 plants.

This is where they will be grown out. This is Eco Complete capped with ADA Amazonia. Once they develop a bit more of a root structure I will give each stem a 1/4 of a root tab. They are in high light and high tech environment.
johnson18, Opare, Santo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Sean W.; 04-12-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

SO MUCH YES!!! I may have to do this same thing! I'd never even looked for a tissue culture of these on the bay! Hope they do well for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This may sound like a noob question, but is flamingo rare? I have only owned one crypt before which is balance so im no crypt genius! it looks pretty, the pink to it is very bright imo.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
SO MUCH YES!!! I may have to do this same thing! I'd never even looked for a tissue culture of these on the bay! Hope they do well for you!

The whole point of this is to grow them out and sell them. Depending on how they do, they will be candidates for my new grow enclosure I am doing a proof of concept of. If they do well, id be more than happy to send you over a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
This may sound like a noob question, but is flamingo rare? I have only owned one crypt before which is balance so im no crypt genius! it looks pretty, the pink to it is very bright imo.
Uhm, they only person I have seen with them is Tom Barr, and I'm sure he would charge like $92 per leaf ( slight exaggeration, peppered with frustration ) for his. Here is a picture from Tom Barr that has Crypt Flamingo in the background.
BettaBettas and clownplanted like this.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

wow, then I guess you really got a bargain!
All the best!
Nate
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
wow, then I guess you really got a bargain!
All the best!
Nate
It is an investment. Since I got it for like $32 shipped, which isnt too bad, but is also WAY more than I have ever spent on a tissue culture plant, Since I was able to break them into 9 plants, I feel good about the investment. Tissue cultures are always a shot in the dark, either they will take off right away, or they will wither into nothing and die. So cross your fingers for me!
clownplanted likes this.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tissue Culture Cryptocoryne sp. ‘Flamingo’ - Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
Uhm, they only person I have seen with them is Tom Barr, and I'm sure he would charge like $92 per leaf ( slight exaggeration, peppered with frustration ) for his. Here is a picture from Tom Barr that has Crypt Flamingo in the background.

They are definitely out there. I've had them before but it never recovered from a cross country move. Part of the issue is that early on, & this may still be true, the color morph (it is a C. wendtii variant) was not stable. You'd have a pink plant that would throw out a much darker leaf, closer to a Fl. Sunset color-that kinda mottled pink/brown, and the bright pink color would never fully return. Some plants reverted completely back to brown. I've seen people selling "Crypt. sp. 'Flamingo'" for a hefty sum that was no different than a normal red/bronze C. wendtii.

Also, LOL at the Barr comment!

I will be interested to see how these do as far as maintaining the color. Was there a brand listed on the tissue culture? I believe it was Dennerle that originally developed the plant. If you wanna see how it does in different environments, I'd be happy to grow it too. I believe it won't maintain the color in under lower light levels. Although, I had mine in a non-CO2 tank w/pretty high light(my BML XB), dosing the hell outta Excel & was able to keep it looking decent.

I'm looking forward to watching this progress!

BettaBettas likes this.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
LOL at the Barr comment!

I will be interested to see how these do as far as maintaining the color. Was there a brand listed on the tissue culture?

Actually no, there was no brand on the tissue culutre, it didnt have any labels on it at all.

For posterity, here is a close up of the plants

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I mean compared to what I have ordered in TC before they don't looks to bad
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I mean compared to what I have ordered in TC before they don't looks to bad
Yep, they are in great shape. I have high hopes.
clownplanted likes this.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got some of those from a Dennerle rep a couple weeks ago. They're doing well so far.

$92/leaf....LOL.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
The whole point of this is to grow them out and sell them. Depending on how they do, they will be candidates for my new grow enclosure I am doing a proof of concept of. If they do well, id be more than happy to send you over a few

Count me in when you get to the point where you have some to sell. I have wanted to try out this plant for a long time.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEdwards View Post
I got some of those from a Dennerle rep a couple weeks ago. They're doing well so far.

$92/leaf....LOL.
think it would just be cheaper to go to the amazon myself and scrounge some up lmao
Tnalp likes this.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEdwards View Post

$92/leaf....LOL.
Pictures of it didnt happen!
johnson18 and BettaBettas like this.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
They are definitely out there. I've had them before but it never recovered from a cross country move. Part of the issue is that early on, & this may still be true, the color morph (it is a C. wendtii variant) was not stable. You'd have a pink plant that would throw out a much darker leaf, closer to a Fl. Sunset color-that kinda mottled pink/brown, and the bright pink color would never fully return. Some plants reverted completely back to brown. I've seen people selling "Crypt. sp. 'Flamingo'" for a hefty sum that was no different than a normal red/bronze C. wendtii.

Also, LOL at the Barr comment!

I will be interested to see how these do as far as maintaining the color. Was there a brand listed on the tissue culture? I believe it was Dennerle that originally developed the plant. If you wanna see how it does in different environments, I'd be happy to grow it too. I believe it won't maintain the color in under lower light levels. Although, I had mine in a non-CO2 tank w/pretty high light(my BML XB), dosing the hell outta Excel & was able to keep it looking decent.

You're right on the color, it doesn't seem to come back once it's totally lost but still looks nothing like other wendtii vars leaf structure and veining are different. Flowers are the same though.

If someone is after that bright pink high light and ferts is the way to go and start with a good healthy stock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BettaBettas likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode