The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help with Riccia Fluitans

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dukydaf 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm brand new to aquatic plants and started working with a 5 gallon aquarium. I recently tied the Riccia to some ornaments but am now seeing some translucent growth in the area. Seems to have appeared in 2 days days since the plant was introduced. I don't know what it might be. Anyone maybe identify for me?

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the wood just introduced in the aquarium? If so it is fungi. Nothing to do, it will go away on its own in a couple of weeks once the bacterial population grows.

BTW some plants seem to have been burned by a ammonia spike. Take out any damaged, mush parts and change the water.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Yes that's wood. Thanks for the help. I don't know about ammonia. No fish in the tank at the moment. I did add a little fertilizer and believe I created an algae problem for myself so have been changing about 20% water over the past couple of days. The plants that look washed out are Alternanthera which were more red when I bought them but the red seemed to wash out when I rinsed them before planting. I'm hoping the color returns.

#4 ·
from what I know red plants need a lot of iron and a LOT of light. I have both in my 55 and still have trouble with "Red" plants other than my tiger lily.

I would think during the cycle things would be pretty unstable and dosing might be a bit mehhhhhhh, Id probably do minimal doses if any for a while until the ammonia and trites start converting, but others might be able to give you more info. If you can go to an LFS and see if you can get some seeded media from them. Some used substrate, old used fileter pad anything will bump it up. you could actually just let it sit in the tank in a mesh or something and chuck it after a while.

#5 ·
For now I have an 18W Seapora square LED which seems to give plenty of light so I'm hoping it will be enough. I think I'll let it cycle for a while and see if things improve. I also have staurogyne and lilaeopsis planted. I'm new to aquatic plants and aquariums so need to learn quite a bit.

#6 ·
@GNJ It is expected for new aquariums to get an ammonia spike. Once the bacteria grow the ammonia will be converted to nitrite and then to nitrate. This last form is far less toxic for fish and good food for plants.

I would suggest increasing the frequency of the water changes (WC) 2-3 times per week , 50% for the first 2-3 weeks. During this period lower the light intensity (if possible) and period (to 6h). Also it might be good to get some fast easy growers such as Elodea/Egeria, Hygrophila corymbosa, Hygrophila repens, Hygrophila difformis and most floating plants. These plants help eat up the ammonia and might prevent/ lower a algae outbreak (also common with new aquariums). Once things stabilize ( tank has completed the oxidative part of the nitrogen cycle) you can invest in more desirable plants and throw /sell /donate /keep the nutrient sponge plants.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have as we are all in this forum to learn.

Also consider reading:
The Estimative Index of Dosing, or No Need for Test Kits - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

Regards,
duky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.