The Planted Tank Forum banner

Looking for non Substrate strong light Plant ideas

519 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Dman911 
#1 ·
This is not something I have not done but rather something down the road I am planning to attempt and not sure if it would work (fair warning) but I think other have done this to make moss walls (not sure). Using that plastic mesh you get from the craft store for knitting (the kind used in algae scrubbers) rough it up dragging a hole saw over it to provide a surface that's easier for the moss to attach. Pick your moss of choice (I like Christmas moss but I'm bias in my opinion). Then drag the moss over it and it will catch on sharp edges (alternatively superglue the moss but you still want to have a rough surface for it to attach as it grows. Attach to the aquarium where you see fit. A small rock(s) superglued to the back or zip ties as I see in you photo's (lots of different methods). Not sure if this is your cup of tea but thought I would share.

Dan

#2 ·
Mosses are definitely an option. Already have Fissidens on the bonsai. The thought of Xmas moss does sound appealing for the left and right side

Also thinking of using plastic suction cup sink holder to grow some stem plants. I could always add substrate that way.. Might do that for the background

Still fishing for more ideas.
Yeah I figure you can do it for all types of applications since its pliable. You could make moss caves, slopes, hell even build a structure like a ruin covered vegetation. I just see so much potential in different applications I thought I would share. Can definitely add substrate in holders, I built some into my underwater water fall to hold plants and no problems there.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.