Carpet Plants and Common Pleco? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Carpet Plants and Common Pleco?

So I have a common(sailfin) pleco that is 9" long. Would it not be worth even trying to do a carpet plant? I am sure I know the answer but wonder if any of you have plecos with carpet plants. I really want dwarf hairgrass but cannot let him go. He was my very first fish when he was just 1.5" long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

*cough*
Pearlweed
*cough*
clownplanted likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
*cough*

Pearlweed

*cough*

Really?? Going to research. Thank you so much.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

np.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
np.

Best I could do would be low/medium light. With co2 of course. Would this work? Looking at about 40 ish par at substrate.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

yep
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
yep
One more question for you and thank you so much for helping me. Will it go in regular gravel? I have a bunch of root tabs of course. Really want a carpet plant but know I am limited with my Pleco and gravel. (1-2mm bb size)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Planted Member

Plecos will tear up carpet plant's looking for food.Maybe it could work if the carpet plants were well established before the Pleco went into the tank.

PS
Carpet plants require a lot of light unless I am mistaken while Plecos prefer subdued light
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAu View Post
Plecos will tear up carpet plant's looking for food.Maybe it could work if the carpet plants were well established before the Pleco went into the tank.

PS
Carpet plants require a lot of light unless I am mistaken while Plecos prefer subdued light
No, not all carpet plants require a high tech environment.
That's why I suggested for @clownplanted a low tech carpet plant. Not many people know about this.
You can bury this plant completely under the substrate (but not to deep, enough that it still can breath) if you want (if the plecos tear it up at first) but it roots in about 1 to 2 days. I may be able to send you come if you want in about a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
One more question for you and thank you so much for helping me. Will it go in regular gravel? I have a bunch of root tabs of course. Really want a carpet plant but know I am limited with my Pleco and gravel. (1-2mm bb size)
You may be able to SLIDE with regular gravel, I think it would be way better if you didn't have that but eh. Yea you can try
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
No, not all carpet plants require a high tech environment.
That's why I suggested for @clownplanted a low tech carpet plant. Not many people know about this.
You can bury this plant completely under the substrate (but not to deep, enough that it still can breath) if you want (if the plecos tear it up at first) but it roots in about 1 to 2 days. I may be able to send you come if you want in about a week.

You may be able to SLIDE with regular gravel, I think it would be way better if you didn't have that but eh. Yea you can try

That would be so very nice. I would love some. I was actually just looking online for some. I am heavily debating changing my substrate to Flourite as I know it is just better overall for my plants. On a tight budget now though due to my heavy spending last paycheck on co2 and Seneye monitor lol. Would take me 8 bags of flourite. Ouch. Do you recommend Flourite or eco complete?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
That would be so very nice. I would love some. I was actually just looking online for some. I am heavily debating changing my substrate to Flourite as I know it is just better overall for my plants. On a tight budget now though due to my heavy spending last paycheck on co2 and Seneye monitor lol. Would take me 8 bags of flourite. Ouch. Do you recommend Flourite or eco complete?

Flourite is ok, but I have personally had a bad experience with it over time. I would go eco complete but with eco there isn't any nutrients in the substrate I don't think. Also I will pm you regarding the pearlweed
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Flourite is ok, but I have personally had a bad experience with it over time. I would go eco complete but with eco there isn't any nutrients in the substrate I don't think. Also I will pm you regarding the pearlweed
What bad experience over time have you had? It really is between flourite and eco complete. I thought eco complete did have nutrients but only lasts so long where as flourite never needs to be changed out?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

On a different note but it's my thread so hey I can lol. I am having a hard time telling if this is too light of green/yellow with my drop checker. Does it look too light?

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 PM
Planted Member

I don't have it in lower light, but my pearl weed loves growing in inert pool filter sand and my flourite. My bn pleco leaves it alone, along with my Monte Carlo. When I first got my PW (it was in horrible condition half-dead) I stuck each stem individually in the sand. I let it grow to a little over 2x the height I wanted and mowed it down planting the tops. One more trimming and most of it decided it would rather grow sideways and low... lol
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua99 View Post
I don't have it in lower light, but my pearl weed loves growing in inert pool filter sand and my flourite. My bn pleco leaves it alone, along with my Monte Carlo. When I first got my PW (it was in horrible condition half-dead) I stuck each stem individually in the sand. I let it grow to a little over 2x the height I wanted and mowed it down planting the tops. One more trimming and most of it decided it would rather grow sideways and low... lol

Would 40'ish par be good for the pearlweed you think? May get eco or Flourite if it doesn't work out in gravel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode