The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planting laceplant

803 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  211303 
#1 ·
I have introduced a little laceplant into my tank a week ago. Today, I found it rolled over and have to pick it up and replant it. Turns out that it has not developed any root, and pretty much stay dormant the whole time. The plant is kept in sand, and I have put an ADA multi bottom root tab under it. The tank is now at 76f, and nitrate is at 0-5ppm. You can find the other tank spec in my signature.

What's wrong with the plant? Is it just that it take a long time to establish, or my tank is just not suitable for it? I have found conflicting info in the internet, and I want to hear some first hand experience from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi

I had one of these in a sand substrate and it took off really well. I did inject Co2 aswell. Lace plants will take a while to form a root as it's a bulb plant. The other thing is don't fully submerge the bulb as that will rot it. The only 2 questions I have is how much flow do you have and what lighting do you have?

Cheers

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The bulb blends in because of the very similar color to the sand, but the top 1/3 sticks out. I have 2 Eheim 2217 in this 90g tank, which should produce quite enough flow. The plant is also a few inches from the intake of one of the filter. As for the light, I have a LED fixture with 18 7000k 5W led on top of the tank, and it's about 23 inch from the substrate.

#6 ·
An update:

I replanted the bulb, and it has grown some new leaves since then. However, I have found the surface of the bulb damaged one day. I have seen my bristlenose pleco munching on the bulb, but I am not sure if they are the culprit. Do this look like pleco damage to you? Or is it just natural for bulb plant to shed the outer layer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.