The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do plants need rest? Java Moss

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  KayakJimW 
#1 ·
Over the weekend I left the light on at work for my Java Moss because I didn't have a timer at work, came back Monday and found it pearling.

I saw some plants thrive in 24hr light and some are indifferent and some do poorly.

Does Java Moss need a rest? It appears to be doing great right now, but I don't want it to reach it's limit and crash if it isn't able to take this kind of light exposure. I have a timer at work now, just not sure if I should even bother to use it.

Info on other aquarium plant affinity to 24 hr light cycle is welcome too.

#3 ·
I read somewhere that moss loves light so the mo the better. However I did this with a dry start and it burnt my moss and almost killed it. Only since then have I started to see it grow back.
How many days was your dry start and when did the moss start dying?

#4 ·
I have java moss in a variety of tanks. I have it in tanks that get about 8 hours of bright intense light. I have it in tanks with less bright light. I also have it in tanks that have florescent full spectrum bulbs that often will get 12 hours of light (not on purpose, just no timer for those), and I have it in two tanks that have only about 6 hours max of intense light.

Looking at all of them, they look very much alike. The one in the florescent tank with full spectrum bulb (incandescent tank bulb from Walmart) has the least java moss because my daughter keeps taking it out, so that is not a fair comparison. It is still blooming and growing as much as the others.

So, I am thinking that it is quite flexible in the lighting requirement. None of these look faster or more advanced than the others.

Not sure if that helps or not, just some observations. :nerd:

#6 ·
My understanding is that plants can only utilize so much light in a day. Beyond that we're just wasting electricity and feeding algae, if not negatively affecting the plants' ability to process. The maximum a plant can use may vary by species, probably falling somewhere in the 8 to 12 hr range. However moss may be different, it seems to be somewhere between plants and algae in its structure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.