The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does this look like "normal" plant growth?

727 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Muntaseer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello friends,

I've really tried to search through the already written posts on this site to find the answers to most of my questions without being that annoying person who asks what everyone else asks due to a lack of patience to google, but I have a few questions specific to my tank that I wanted to ask, particularly concerning my plants.

I am a (terrestrial) horticulturalist at a botanical garden, so while I am paying close attention to all the wonderfully helpful articles on this site, I am still going with my gut in regards to the plants. For example, I am accepting of some of the leaf loss as transplanting is very traumatic on plants. However, concerns arise with colors (generally on land, lighter colors means lack of nutrients or light) and also knowing how/when to start pruning.

I just wanted to check in to see if my plants looked okay and if they were growing. I planted the tank about a week ago, and due to concern about burning the plants, I've been adding ammonia to keep the levels at 2ppm, and am also doing lots of water changes due to high nitrites.

My questions are:

1) The alternanthera is turning a coppery-orange color, which to me looks like a result of my installation of better lighting.... however I wanted to check if this was actually them "dying" by turning a yellower color?
2) I planted 2 bulbs of red tiger lotuses; so far, only 1 has emerged. However, the one that has emerged looks as if it almost has a film around it... I'm thinking this means it died and the bacteria are eating it? Regardless, are there any good tips for bulb planting? I'm thinking in the future maybe I should wait for the more difficult plants until the tank is done cycling...
3) When do you start pruning them plants? Also, how? On land, I prune my plants above leaf nodes in order to get them to branch out. I wait until I see signs of growth until I do this; is this method appropriate?
4) Lastly, fertilizers: I never fertilize my newly planted plants in my garden until I know they have taken root. Furthermore, I read on many articles that fertilizing during fishless tank cycle can cause algae blooms and water chemistry madness. However, I have been dosing Excel everyday (I have yet to get my CO2 tank; hopefully it will come in next week), but not using Flourish or any other ferts. When should I start this?

My tank specs and readings (after today's PWC) are:

-32 gallon planted with Eco Complete and Moon Sand (for carpeting plants)
-Cascade 500 canister filter
-2 lights: 1 Satellite Pro Plus (front half of tank) and 1 Satellite Plus (back half of the tank)
-Dosing Excel daily; extra after PWC over 40%
-Light addition of aquarium salt after PWCs
-pH: Varies between 7.6 and 8.0
-Ammonia: 2ppm (drops to about 1ppm each day)
-Nitrite: around 3.0ppm

Thank you for your help; I really want these to grow!

-Tanya

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that yellowing shows the plants need ferts- but I haven't planted a tank that was mid-cycle so I don't know if you should do that considering you read articles advising against it. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

I agree with you about pruning. I've always assumed plants will put energies to growing new roots before growing new leaves, so when I see new foliage I assume the roots have taken hold and it is safe to prune to encourage more branching.

Yes, fill the tank with more easy fast growers like wisteria, and save the more expensive or difficult plants for when it is all established. I'd do that just because if I have mistake while working things out in the beginning, don't want to regret loosing a plant I really wanted.

It looks great already- that is going to be a beautiful tank when your plants readjust and grow in.

#4 ·
1. What species is that? The newest leaves are not dying but it doesn't look quite right.
2. Sorry haven't had any Lotuses before.
3. Prune when plants are too tall, or if they are new tall enough that you can replant the top portion, and throw away the old portion that was grown in the store or whatever. If the bottom of the plant is still healthy trim the tops and discard or use the tops to propagate. If the bottoms are not healthy, replace the bottom of the plants with the tops. Pruning above a node for branching is good. This is all related to trimming stems. Most other aquarium plants you won't have to do such things.
4. I always begin to fertilise at the start because I might as well, even if the plants don't use it. I don't start with too much just something lean. Depending what regime you are going to take if it is PPS-Pro or a lean regime you can go full strength, if it is like EI then you will want to start a bit slower.

My questions:
How old is this tank? It is new right? If it is under 2 weeks old I wouldn't be concerned about plant health just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for your help!! I think I was a bit too concerned with plant health as it is only a little over a week. I think it's doing pretty well because more has started to grow and also the nitrates have started to show up. Once I add CO2 and start ferts I think all should be well... I am following a version of the EI regime so I need to be careful. Hopefully I can get my tank soon which will help!! Excel is working but not perfect. I will watch the growth carefully and see. As for the species of the plant in the photo, I'm not quite sure. I got it as part of a plant pack from aquarium plants.com. I need to do a bit more research! Thanks!

#3 ·
My questions are:

1) The alternanthera is turning a coppery-orange color, which to me looks like a result of my installation of better lighting.... however I wanted to check if this was actually them "dying" by turning a yellower color?
2) I planted 2 bulbs of red tiger lotuses; so far, only 1 has emerged. However, the one that has emerged looks as if it almost has a film around it... I'm thinking this means it died and the bacteria are eating it? Regardless, are there any good tips for bulb planting? I'm thinking in the future maybe I should wait for the more difficult plants until the tank is done cycling...
3) When do you start pruning them plants? Also, how? On land, I prune my plants above leaf nodes in order to get them to branch out. I wait until I see signs of growth until I do this; is this method appropriate?
4) Lastly, fertilizers: I never fertilize my newly planted plants in my garden until I know they have taken root. Furthermore, I read on many articles that fertilizing during fishless tank cycle can cause algae blooms and water chemistry madness. However, I have been dosing Excel everyday (I have yet to get my CO2 tank; hopefully it will come in next week), but not using Flourish or any other ferts. When should I start this?
1. What species is that? The newest leaves are not dying but it doesn't look quite right.
2. Sorry haven't had any Lotuses before.
3. Prune when plants are too tall, or if they are new tall enough that you can replant the top portion, and throw away the old portion that was grown in the store or whatever. If the bottom of the plant is still healthy trim the tops and discard or use the tops to propagate. If the bottoms are not healthy, replace the bottom of the plants with the tops. Pruning above a node for branching is good. This is all related to trimming stems. Most other aquarium plants you won't have to do such things.
4. I always begin to fertilise at the start because I might as well, even if the plants don't use it. I don't start with too much just something lean. Depending what regime you are going to take if it is PPS-Pro or a lean regime you can go full strength, if it is like EI then you will want to start a bit slower.

My questions:
How old is this tank? It is new right? If it is under 2 weeks old I wouldn't be concerned about plant health just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.