The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plants and Wood - how to make 2 equal 1

3K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  houseofcards 
#1 ·
I have read a few different ways to attach plants of all different sorts to wood in a tank...my question is what is the correct way!!??

What is the safe way for the smallest fish in the tank or the itty bitty invert's crawling all over??

I would like to attach plants or moss or something to my wood once I am at that point but first I need to learn how to do it, buy the correct materials to do it and look for the correct plants that can do it. Advice please!!??

Mopani wood BTW...

Thanks

#2 ·
There is no "correct" way. There are common ways. Standard superglue (cyanoacrylate is the only safe kind), cotton thread, or fishing line are all common ways to attach plants to wood or rock. I haven't had any luck with super glue, but I've used thread and it lasts long enough for the plant to attach itself to the rock but then eventually disintegrate to the point where you can pull the thread off. Fishing line won't do that.

#3 ·
I use superglue for everything and it has worked great for me. I use the gel version. It's the same stuff, just in gel form that makes it very easy to work with. It works even when wet. I can put superglue on some moss, dunk it into the tank, and still get it to attach where I need it. It's definitely the easiest thing to use, IME. And it is safe to use according to everything I've seen. No adverse affects on my fish or inverts.

#9 ·
Ditto on all counts here. Gorilla Glue superglue gel with the green cap is what I use. Have glued tons of moss, java fern, anubias, and bucephalandra with it. I've dabbed it on several plants and stuck them straight into my 2.5 gallon shrimp tank with no ill effects. You just have to be creative on positioning to hide the glue. It turns white underwater. I use tiny amounts on rhizomes so roots cover it, and if it's noticeable I wad up some moss and stick it on the glue while its still tacky.

#6 ·
I use rubber bands. That hasn't been mentioned in the thread so far. Once the plant is attached, snip the band and pull it out with a tweezers. Unless the wood is really heavy it's easy to pull it out when done. I got a big ball of rubber bands from the big box store for a few bucks and small ones come with the bags of plants (and livestock), and I've never seen fish try to eat the rubber bands.

#13 ·
Wow, I didn't realize there was such a difference. I looked into it because I was gonna warn you that the Gorilla Glue comes in a nice size bottle that is only a quarter full. Worse than potato chips...

So looking at Amazon, I see the GG gel at $6.26 for 15grams (or .53oz) and Loctite is at $4.47 for only 4grams (or .14oz)
That is a pretty big difference. Loctite, huh. Can't hide money...:wink2:

#12 ·
Take the advice about the glue turning white underwater to heart. Don't overapply the glue, just a little tiny bit will do what you need, and position it so new growth will hide it. I know from experience it can be hard to trust a tiny bit of glue but it's worth being very sparing. I personally only use it when I know it won't be seen, otherwise I use the rubber bands.

#16 ·
Wood and moss is easy, put the wood in a tank with low flow, with just enough water so the wood will wick itself wet all over. Place strands of moss over it. IT will be attached in a few weeks.
Many fish can get hurl on the fishing line method. Its 3am, so not going to take pictures now. :)

#19 ·
I bought an Anubias just the other day and couldn't find my cyanoacrylate glue, and since I have a lot of thread that was my mom's, I opted for the thread method. Black thread is the least visible, but all I could find at first was cotton-covered polyester, which won't rot off with time, but I finally spotted some on a wooden spool and figured it might predate polyester thread, and sure enough, it was black100? cotton just like I wanted. I must say, tho, that tieing the plant onto the wood can be a hassle, especially being careful to not cut into the plant with the thread. It works better if you make a few wraps with the thread before you try to tie the knot, but you have to get right up to the aquarium to see the thread, and it will rot and fall off on its own, so that's a plus. I haven't tried the super glue yet, but I probably will later on down the line.

Olskule

#26 · (Edited)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/1067057-diy-moss-attaching-tool.html
Check out the BLACK super glue in this thread! (and cool DIY tool)
This stuff looks awesome, but I'm having a hard time finding it for sale. This thread is the only place I've seen it and this member is in Europe

If an aquarium supply company made a black or dark brown gel version I'd pay more for that.

PS, Lekoguy that's pretty cool Seachem sells it now, I hadn't seen that before. Nice betta, btw

edit: ...wellll found a seller on Amazon selling 0.7oz bottles for $28.35, so maybe I wouldn't pay thaaaaat much more...

#29 ·
I don't know how well crypts would do attached to driftwood. Being heavy root feeders you would have to have a lot of available nutrients in the water column for them to suck up. But who knows, it seems like crypts can live in any condition.... crazy big root systems tho.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.