The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aponogeton Longiplumulosus question

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  ScottW 
#1 ·
I had this plants for a few months and love it! They are huge but now the leaves and stems are starting to break off at the bulb. Is this normal? I add ferts and run pressurized co2. The tank is 60 gallons and 24 inch tall.

#2 ·
Aponogeton are weird plants that are often sold as dry bulbs. This works because they usually live on river banks that dry up during dry seasons and they come back the next season. It's like growth cycles are ingrained in their DNA. If all the leaves fall off, you can pull the bulb, dry it off with paper towels and let it sit out awhile (weeks, months) and replant it. I've even heard of folks putting the bulbs in the fridge until they replant but I'm not sure that's necessary. I've had some Apons last longer than others before their "season" ends but most come back looking better than ever

#5 ·
I have a Aponogeton ulvaceus. It was huge and beautiful. It broke my heart when it started to die, no matter what I did. Roots and all. The bulb still seemed viable so I left it lying on the bottom hoping it would would come out of it. Then I found out that they needed a dormant period. So I left it there. After about 4 months of laying on the bottom I was soo happy when I saw a new leaf starting to poke out a few days ago. Happy happy happy!

#6 ·
That's awesome! I had assumed that the bulb/tuber would rot if it stayed in there, and that they needed the physical changes of drying out and getting wet again to encourage new growth. Good to know you can leave them in there. Ulvaceus are super cool

#9 ·
I wonder if pulling it out, drying it, and replanting it would speed up the process vs leaving it in the tank. In other words, fooling it into thinking its next season already. I don't have any Apons currently but next time I grow some I have a plan: Get a few and swap 'em out for year round enjoyment. As one starts to go dormant, stick a dry tuber right next to it and so on. Boom.

#11 ·
KayakJimW, that's a great idea! Idk. That might shorten time of dormany. I'm curious to find out. I'll do that next time.

ScottW, that would be awesome if you could post your results. That would be great to have more specific info on this!

#13 · (Edited)
Good luck! I hope it works for you. Let us know if it does and what you did exactly. :) I've got a Aponogeton madagascariensis that i nicknamed the "Monster" (cuz it's taking over my tank). The crazy thing is going to bloom! And it, for some strange reason, didn't go through the dormancy. It's been growing so long the leaves got so old and tattered, I ended up trimming them all off, one by one over time. It's late tonight, but tomorrow I'll try to post a picture. It's HUGE! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.