Looking for some input.... - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By roadmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Mad Scientist

Looking for some input....

Hoping some of you on TPT might be able to help me figure out whats going on with my tank. If you dig thru a few of the pics in my build thread (bottom of this post) you can see my Amazon Sword typically looks very healthy. Lately, it has been looking pretty "not healthy". I have been trying to figure out if my fert dosing is to blame or if it is some other factor.

For what it's worth, my KH measures out to 9-10 and my GH is 14 (using API test kit). I have been dosing PPS Pro (more or less) for over a year. As of late I have been dosing the macros at about 1.5 mL per 10 gallons (currently 10 mL for the estimated 60-65 gallons of water in my 75 gallon tank). The micros are dosed pretty lean (mixing 3-4 grams of CSM-B in 500mL bottle, then dosing standard 1mL per 10 gallons).

Here is an overhead shot of the Amazon Sword and the Melon Sword next to it. The new leaves look good but seem small. The older leaves look to have a lot of Pleco damage but what bothers me is the rotted bases of the leaves (second pic).

One of the water parameters that I just recently tested was the Nitrate levels. The left tube is straight out of the tap. The middle tube is from my 20 gallon sump/storage tank under my display tank (it is a few days old and has been dosed with Prime). And the right hand tube is from the 75gallon tank. In person, the right hand tube looks like more than 80ppm (maybe more)

I have been looking thru the various images on this site Deficiency Finder
Was thinking maybe a Nitrate deficiency but the water parameters would seem to say differently.

Hoping some of the experts here might be able to offer some input on what I might be missing or doing wrong.

Last edited by Immortal1; 11-10-2016 at 11:41 PM. Reason: <?>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 12:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

How old s the Amazon sword? The deteriorated, rounded leaf closest to the melon sword looks like an emersed leaf.

The other leaves in the second pic look like submersed leaves though. Did they come from the outside or the inside of the crown? Perhaps they are just old leaves that the plant is shedding.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Mad Scientist

Sword is atleast 1.5 to 2 years old. Entire plant has been submersed it's entire life. Not 100% sure if they are from inside or outside the crown. If I had to guess I would say outside (assuming I know what part of the plant is the crown). Up until recently (last 2 month?) it was basically impossible to pull any leaf out. The older leaves had to be cut. Now the leaves closest to the heater seem to have more of a rotted base. Can't imagine the heater is an issue as it has been in the tank almost as long as the sword plant.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think sword is root feeder..... How old is your substrate?

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Sword is atleast 1.5 to 2 years old. Entire plant has been submersed it's entire life. Not 100% sure if they are from inside or outside the crown. If I had to guess I would say outside (assuming I know what part of the plant is the crown). Up until recently (last 2 month?) it was basically impossible to pull any leaf out. The older leaves had to be cut. Now the leaves closest to the heater seem to have more of a rotted base. Can't imagine the heater is an issue as it has been in the tank almost as long as the sword plant.
The crown is the part we here the leaves come from. is it above the gravel surface? I know swords don't like to be planted deep. If that's not the case, I'd lean toward a deficiency, but I'll let the experts make that call..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you use root tabs ? I grow Amazons well with just root tabs and Excel/Glut and low to medium light .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Last edited by Leeatl; 03-11-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Mad Scientist

Substraight is Eco Complete and is around 2 years old. I have 2-3 rot tabs in there now (within the last month) but can't honestly say when the last time was that I added some.
My tank lighting is probably more medium high than anything (Satellite plus over the swords, Satellite plus pro over the front of the tank) at about 9 hours per day with a reasonable amount of cO2.
The crown is definitely above the surface. Huge amount of roots holding it in.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I never place more than one root tab under/near sword or crypt plant.
With lean micro dosing mentioned, and fairly hard water, I might look to Fe,from DTPA depending on composition of root tab's.
In any event,I might also reduce light intensity to decrease demand for nutrient's while adding a bit more of all nutrient's.
Should note improvement pretty quick if it was/is deficiency with a bit more of everything .
Immortal1 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Mad Scientist

Thankyou @roadmaster - will give that a try (less light, more food). Just got some DTPA from Nilocg.com- will have to look back at one of Burr740's posts as to how he was mixing it with CSM (not that my tank would need as much food as his :-) )

Worked up a new dosing routine based on information from various sources (mostly Burr740 & GreggZ).
Will give this a try for a few weeks and see what happens. Looking back to some of my other notes I have a feeling my overall micro dosing was VERY thin so hopefully this will help.
As always I am VERY open to suggestions/comments/critique!!! FYI, I am dosing 7 days per week

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-11-2016 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode