The Planted Tank Forum banner

Moss ID please

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  DennisSingh 
#1 ·
#4 ·
#9 ·
I have been reading on the difference between peacock and spikey. I think the jury is still out on the topic. I have a for sure peacock and for sure spiky growing in the same time. I think in a month I will be able to examine some more and take some nice pictures of the full frond. I also have some for sure xmas moss growing out after grinding it up and tying it to lava rocks. I think I am almost positive that the picture on hand is peacock now. I think one distinctive feature between the peacock and xmas is the that peacock can spread laterally when grown in a strand, this is how the one in the picture has formed. The one in the picture also has smaller peripheral shoots from each frond which I think is a key distinctive factor. Xmas has a pretty clean frond with less branching, but per frond it is much thicker than peacock. I will grow the the for sure species out for a month and revisit the topic. Any other input ?

#10 ·
I have been reading on the difference between peacock and spikey. I think the jury is still out on the topic. I have a for sure peacock and for sure spiky growing in the same time. I think in a month I will be able to examine some more and take some nice pictures of the full frond. I also have some for sure xmas moss growing out after grinding it up and tying it to lava rocks. I think I am almost positive that the picture on hand is peacock now. I think one distinctive feature between the peacock and xmas is the that peacock ca0n spread laterally when grown in a strand, this is how the one in the picture has formed. The one in the picture also has smaller peripheral shoots from each fro0nd which I think is a key distinctive factor. Xmas has a pretty clean frond with less branching, but per frond it is much thicker than peacock. I will grow the the for sure species out for a month and revisit the topic. Any other input ?
Please do so...there are two different claims with the spiky and peacock, one from a well known professor and the other from a business minded

xmas is way different from peacock being more triangular, thicker(like you stated), and the fronds branching out perpendicular, it can have a weeping effect as well, it can branch out just as much depending on grower
peacock is more diagonal, easy new growth bright green tips(not saying xmas doesn't do this too but harder moss)
hues of color are different as well, xmas is a lighter green
please show me a picture of your xmas i'm almost sure i can confirm it

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.