The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ammannia Pedicellata Care

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Watercrayfish 
#1 ·
I have Ammannia Pedicellata which used to be very healthy, but its now the saddest looking one. Could anyone please let me know what deficiency is this?

10Gallon tank is having DIY CO2 and the plant is very close like 7-8" to a CFL 6500K. Dosing PPS-Pro and some extra Fe now and then.
Potty soil (red clay balls) capped with Eco-Complete. Will add Excel when the notice the CO2 bubble rate is weak.

I don,t having any algae issue in this tank, only the Ammannia Pedicellata leaves have some black color on the leaves no idea whether its any kind of algae.

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe by increasing the Pottassium dosage for the hygrophila-corymbosa, the Ca intake has been hindered causing the curly leaves.
I have don't have any test kits to test it though.

Any way I made a new Macro mix with recommended levels of K. May be things will get better.

#3 ·
This is one of the plants I'll be doing controlled experiments on.

I've only been able to grow this plant with normal growth now but it took an incredible amount of trial and error; it looked like a burnt matchstick for almost 1.5 years and almost no growth in that time. It's not related to CO2 or light intensity as I keep it in a sunlit tank with no CO2 and it is starting to grow healthy new leaves. Its also grown under high light and low-moderate CO2 and can also grow healthily.

This is a difficult plant if you are dosing anything in excess, esp. traces. High nitrates also appears to cause this issue so lower nitrate concentrations, <5mg/L, may help reduce the crinkling of new leaves. The older leaves with the necrotic spots may be a symptom of iron tox.

#4 ·
This is one of the plants I'll be doing controlled experiments on.
Thank you. Now I can relate.

Was growing like weed before introducing fish. I had to propagate it 2 times in a span of 2 months. Now my nitrates are very high (40ppm+). Now its stunt.
Yes I did add extra iron for the Althanthra Reineckii and Ludiwigiya Repens for the red color, but with high nitrates no luck with L.Repens to turn red.

#5 ·
You may also be right about the extra potassium preventing the uptake or translocation of calcium. Either add calcium alongside, unless calcium is already high, or dose less potassium. The nutrient ratio doesn't necessarily need to be wildly off for K to inhibit Ca, but more K than Ca may likely cause problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.