The Planted Tank Forum banner

Redoing my tank and trying t find what will work

734 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  fishkeeper01 
#1 ·
So I'm going to redo my 5.5g dirted betta tank and am trying to figure out what plants to use. Also this time around I will be running co2 on the tank. Previously in the tank I had cyptocoryne lutea and micro sword. The lutea did fine but did not grow much and I still have it. The micro sword barely grew and what didn't melt eventually become covered by algae. I ended chucking what micro sword I had left and still have the crypt. lutea.

Specs
Standard 5.5 gallon tank
15w CFL bulb
DIY CO2 via citric acid/baking soda method

I would like to get somekind of carpeting foreground plant and a stem plant to go along with the crypt lutea in the background. I am trying to decide between dwarf sag and micro sword as far as foreground goes. I have dwarf sag in another low tech tank and it has grown quite well for me. I would like to now if of any tips you guys might have as far as micro sword go. I have read in a coupl places that micro sword needs good current? And will the fact that I am running co2 this time around make it easier on the micro sword?

#6 ·
For carpet I would go with dwarf hair grass and use micro swords on the edges of the carpet plant.

Plants you can try.
Ludwigiya sp.
Anubias Nana
Limnophila Aromatica mini (I love this plant)
Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
Hydrocotyle sp Japan

One more, the citric acid CO2 is very effective and you can easily gas your fish in a 5 gallon tank, just keep that in mind. Run air stones when the lights are out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.