The Planted Tank Forum banner

These plants are... ...what?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  PumpkinElvis 
#1 ·
Please help me in determining what these plants are.

The first pick I truly believe it is Blyxa Japonica. This is a 10g and this 1st plant is no longer in it. Would like confirmation on this. I loved that plant but it is no longer with me. :(

The second pic has a few plants that I would like some help identifying. #1 - I believe #1 is Rotala Rotundifolia. This plant has an amazing pink color now. This photo is a month old. #2 - is completely different in this pic than when I got it from the store. It had long and wider green leaves. Now they are like skinny red needles; almost like #1. #3 - I have no idea what this is. The same as the other in changing colors after bringing it home, except this was more reddish in color from the beginning. #4 - I think this plant has been called all kinds of different things. My thought is Alternanthera reineckii.

I appreciate all your help.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey thx for the quick responses. When I get home I will take another photo for an updated pic. 1 & 2 are definitely different unless there can be a big variation between stems and leaves. #2 is a lot more sturdy/thicker when it comes to the stems and leaves, while #1's leaves are "paper" thin. Very flimsy. Once again thank you for the replies and look for an updated pic coming soon!

#8 ·
That is a better picture of #2, I think it is the hybrid ludwigia x arcuata.

The bylaxa still looks like japonica to me more than Aubertii especially after the size pics. Aubertii often also has a bronze color to it but I'll leave the final judgement up to Tinanti who knows ID's way better than me.

#12 ·
Not to argue with people who are always right, but I personally do not see teeth on the leaves. The leaf color and texture also look off for magenta.
If I had to make a bet, I would say Rotalla, probably colorata. But I'm humbled by the authors of the preceeding posts ☺

#13 ·
The teeth are VERY subtle. I'd almost say I'm seeing what I expect to see, but they do appear to be there. Getting down to pixels here. Leaf tips usually more rounded on rotundifolia. But! Look at the bases of the leaves. They are amplexicaulate (similar to Bacopa caroliniana but less so). There is_some_ overlap in characters between those two species, but submersed leaves of rotundifolia are never like that at their bases.

#14 ·
Wow! Thanks everyone. This brings me back to the days in college when I was studying benthics. We used a "key" (a book) that pretty much took us through the process of elimination and identifying the aquatic invertebrate. Which makes me wonder if there is such a "key" that helps in the identification of freshwater aquatic plants. If so, i would buy it. :) Once again, thank you. This has been truly helpful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.