The Planted Tank Forum banner

Slow Growers for High Tech

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  houseofcards 
#1 ·
Hi all

I am looking to switch to high lighting in my high tech and to avoid crazy growth and trimming I am looking to replace my fast growers with much slower varieties and would like some contributions from the more knowledgeable folk here to help me compile a list.

The plants which seem grow at the right rates are:

amana bonsais
tonina fluviatilis
pogostemmon helferis
rotalia wallichii

Thanks for the suggestions!

#3 ·
Haven't had much luck with anubias in even medium light tanks because they tend to get bba if there's too much light but java and waterferns sound interesting (never had them before)

#8 · (Edited)
If your getting BBA on your Anubias under those conditions you'll probably also get it on java fern and African water fern.

There is a fine line where if your giving these "slow growers" what they need (good co2/ferts) under higher light they're growth speeds up and they don't get algae on their leaves.

Not many plants grow faster then some stems, but Anubias and Ferns aren't that slow growing under good light and ferts.

#6 ·
I'm confused as to why you want to go from a high light tank w/ fast growing to slow growing tanks while staying high light/tech, when instead you could just turn the lights down a bit, reduce ferts, and be fine.
Algae grows under any condition and is due to lack of skill rather than anything to do with light. If one can deal with it at low and medium light then no reason why one can't deal with it at high levels.

Anyway the simple answer is some plants just like high light. not an absolute but does make things easier.

T Barr and a few of the other forum members here have +100 par.

I would like to go to maybe 75/80.

#5 ·
Depends on your definition of slow. Here's a few that in my experience require attention every month or two, as opposed to every week or two

Ammania sp bonsai
Rotala ramosoir 'sunset'
Rotala ramosoir 'florida'
Acmella repens
Syngonanthus species
Tonina species
Floscopa scandens
Eriocaulom species
Oldenlandia salzmannii
Lagenandra meeboldi red round
Isoetes lacustris
Lobelia cardinalis 'small form' (no exp with the regular variety, it's probably fairly slow as well)

Not exactly slow but pretty easy to manage -

Blyxa japonica
Hygrophila araguaia
Hygrophila corymbosa var 'compact'

Moderate -

Limnophila rugosa
Pogosteman erectus

#11 ·
thanks for the list! I am still going through them. which of these would you say are happiest at >80 par? Pog erectus and am. bonsai for instance I would say are actually very happy at 50 and don't need more.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
hmmm not sure about that. tonina I would say are happier above 50 even though they can survive below it.

in fact toninas are one of the reasons I am considering switching to 80 because they are proving to be a pain at 50.

Also I have a 50 gallon and like the dutch look

Can always grow Bucephalandra...
Mosses..
The other forum members are right. don't need high light for these. nor anubias nor crypts. in fact buces I find positively get more sensitive under higher light.

I will still have them but hidden along the substrate shadowed by stems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.