The Planted Tank Forum banner

Adding Photosynthetic bacteria into played tank

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Samuel LHR 
#1 ·
Hi so I recently started a tank and had cycled it for about 2 weeks unfortunately it seems like it didn't seem to be enough, I have added 5 Pygmy corries and 3 of them have already died after one day of introduction, I have bought some photosynthetic bacteria as I read that it was good in removing the high ammonia and nitrates in the water, however I'm worried of these bacteria would affect the growth of my tank as they may compete with my tank? Has anyone of you guys used it before? And are there any side effect in the long run.

Here's an image of the product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Place a bowl of water out in the sun, insert rocks, wait a few days for algae to grow on rocks, start to rotate them into and out of the tank.
Regularly refresh the water outside. My outside bowl is just underneath the gutter, so every morning a bunch of dew and condensation falls into it. Keeps it fresh and topped up.

#3 ·
Place a bowl of water out in the sun, insert rocks, wait a few days for algae to grow on rocks, start to rotate them into and out of the tank.

Regularly refresh the water outside. My outside bowl is just underneath the gutter, so every morning a bunch of dew and condensation falls into it. Keeps it fresh and topped up.

Hahaha I think you've misunderstood my question, I'm trying to find out if the additions of supplemental PSB would aid in reducing the nitrite and ammonia level and if there would be any side effects towards plants or the tank in general?

#4 ·
Rather use prime or ammolock if you have a temporary problem.
If you stocked the fish before the tank properly cycled, do water every day tapering off over time towards about 6 weeks.

WTH is synthetic bacteria anyway. I mean I know what it would be in theory, I just don't believe it can be made yet.

Oh I see you only cycled for 2 weeks... yep tank is not cycled yet.

#5 ·
It's supposingly very beneficial in breaking down solid waste and at the same time help in reducing nitrogenous (NH2) levels as well but I'm new to using bacterial supplements so I need help:/ I think I would stick with regular WC

#6 ·
Photosynthetic bacteria need light to produce energy. You are buying / have bought opaque bottles which do not allow light through and have very likely not been stored in proper conditions for bacterial survival. Thus the bottles have a good amount of snake oil in them. Sad that even large companies think they need to do this for profit.

Most photosynthetic bacteria use Sulphur and prefer low oxygen environments...so not your aquarium. Even if one somehow manages to introduce them in sufficient quantity to the aquarium, I do not see what advantage they would bring to a planted aquarium. I would rather buy a bunch of Egeria or Rotala, much more effective and then you have plants to scape with. Cyanobacteria (BGA) is also a sort of photosynthetic bacteria , but I would not add that to my aquarium.

Did you add a source of NH4 during the cycling of the aquarium ? Can you test NH4 NO2 now ? It is likely the bacterial population was too low to handle the amount of NH4 being introduced in the system

#7 ·
I don't have a test kit with me now and I prefer not to buy it as I don't really see the need when I can just keep doing WC, I rather save for more useful equipments or supplements like fert[emoji23]yes I did add a source of NO2 in the form of fish food ( the rotten fish food would ultimately result in NO2) but not a lot

#11 ·
Hi so I recently started a tank and had cycled it for about 2 weeks unfortunately it seems like it didn't seem to be enough, I have added 5 Pygmy corries and 3 of them have already died after one day of introduction...

I don't have a test kit with me now and I prefer not to buy it as I don't really see the need when I can just keep doing WC,

Ammonia/nitrate/nitrite test kit is not very expensive. Seems like a better method than testing by killing and maiming livestock. There are loads of threads on here on how to properly cycle a tank, and how to make sure it's cycled before adding livestock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.