The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tall giant sag?

997 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CowBoYReX 
#1 ·
Was given a very tall plant at my LFS, he just called it "a sag". He said it would do fine in my low light low tech tank that is 24" tall. I couldn't find much info online, the leaves range in height from about six inches to over twenty four. Is this any easy plant? Any info I should know?

#4 ·
Both Sag and Val are very easy to grow I have had both grow for me. The Vallisneria aka Val grows the best under any conditions. The Sag I had grew short under lower lights and no Co2. That same Sag grew very long under high lights with Co2. The Sag under co2 and high light was about 2 feet long I had to trim it. My Val grows no matter what it is not picky. Thats how you can tell you have Val. If it grows long under any condition your have Val.

There is a type of wide leaf Val called Italian Val. I just bought some the other day it is really cool looking. It is growing like a weed just how my other Val grows. For me Sag is not as easy to grow as our native Val. I love my Vallisneria I set up a new tank that only has this stuff in it. It's the best. I love grassy looking plants.

#5 ·
The problem with common names for vals,is several species are called by the same name.V. americana is called jungle Val,as is v.spiralis,which is also called Italian Val.I bought "jungle" Vals once and ended up with spiralis instead of americana.

confused yet?

#6 · (Edited)
Sag, responds quite drastically to environment. I have from the same mother plant, 18 inch and 5 inch plants.
The one has several of the emmersed type spear headed leaves as well as some wide flat leaves. The other look more like a short val, with wider leaves, nicer colour and the veins in the leaves are more lattice like. A val normally have veins running the length of the leave, with two dark veins around the edges.
The leaves on a sag also comes out more in a fan shape as opposed to the brush shape on a val.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.