The Planted Tank Forum banner

What Is This?!

510 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Maryland Guppy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I'm a new member here so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong place...

Anyways, I've had trouble with my plants lately, there is this purpley blackish algae? Maybe? Growing on my plant leaves, from my tissue cultured plants to my petsmart bought Anacharis and I just cannot find out what it is and my local fish store isn't helping...

I added a picture of my plant that right now is effected the most, I recently took out my Rosetta Sword and Dwarf Hairgrass because they were dying from God knows what...

If anyone could help that would be great, thank you!

Current Setup:
50g with Current Satelight (idk the specific name but it is the full spectrum)
Aqua Clear 70
Cascade Canister
1 Blood Pigeon Discus
1 Colbalt Blue Discus
6 Harliquin Tetras
13 Neon Tetras
2 Plecos
1 Golden Dojo Loach
1 Red Velvet Sword Tail

No CO2 or anything besides Flourish atm, after today's water change I will start dosing Trace, Flourish, and Excel, alternating days

Thanks again!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been doing Flourish once a week every week, and the light I try to keep on a 7am-7pm schedule but I'm pretty bad at that because some nights I won't get home till 11pm and it's been on all day, so it definetly might be too much light but also I bought the 3 flourish products and the lady that has a nice planted tank at my LFS is adding all three, one a day, and repeating that process all the time. So I don't know if I should do that but if you recommend that...

Thank you again

#4 ·
Too much light.

Get a timer. They're cheap.

12 hours a day is probably too much. Try cutting it back to 8 hours.

You might try a split photoperiod. Set the timer so your lights are on 4 hours in the morning, go off for at least 4 hours, then go on for 4 hours in the evening. That way, your plants don't get too much light, and you can enjoy your tank in the morning when you wake up and in the evening when you get home from school or work.

It's also supposed to help cut back on algae to do it that way.

#5 ·
No CO2 or anything besides Flourish atm, after today's water change I will start dosing Trace, Flourish, and Excel, alternating days
Trace & Flourish Comprehensive are almost the same.
They are micronutrients, used by plants in a much smaller quantity than macronutrients.

Excel dosed for your tank size will help destroy existing algae.

Too much light, not enough everything else.

How long is your light on? Is it on a timer?
This is good advise. Everything else I will assume is macronutrients.
Timer is very important!

I've been doing Flourish once a week every week, and the light I try to keep on a 7am-7pm schedule but I'm pretty bad at that because some nights I won't get home till 11pm and it's been on all day, so it definetly might be too much light but also I bought the 3 flourish products and the lady that has a nice planted tank at my LFS is adding all three, one a day, and repeating that process all the time. So I don't know if I should do that but if you recommend that...

Thank you again
7am and getting home @ 11pm is an 18 hour photoperiod.
This can farm algae. Timer from say 6pm till 1am. You get some viewing time when you arrive late.

Here is an excellent site to learn about fertilizing your aquarium.
https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

Even if you do not use the PPS method there is a wealth of good info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.