The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plants you will NEVER do again.

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  j03yYunG 
#1 ·
Its Sunday, tank maintenance day. EVERY week I pull java moss out of nooks and crannies, my carpet, etc.

So it got me thinking...would plant would you NEVER get started in your tanks again and why!
I'm talking the monsters...Not the ones that are difficult or just melt away..I'm talking tank domination!

Here are mine:
1. Java moss, breaks off and starts growing everywhere! Collects a lot of crap.
2. Amazon swords in a smaller tank. I had one that the root ball spread to about 1/4 the bottom of a 20 gallon tank.
3. Val...it just takes over!!

#6 ·
Dwarf baby tears-looks cool but takes more trimming than I want-I'm lazy and prefer slow growing/low tech/maintenance.
Hygro anything (but I still want to try pinnatifida)-potassium hogs

#8 ·
Hygro anything (but I still want to try pinnatifida)-potassium hogs
I have a good mass of H. pinnatifida in a small tank and find EI dosing is enough K for it, even with RO water. Most of it is attached to rocks (see journal) so I assume only water column uptake. I encourage you to give it a try. It still grows fast but can be kept small, unlike other Hygros.

My list is largely based on size
1. E. amazonicus (too large even for a 62G and too common)
2. E. bleheri (all it wants is to get outside the water)
3. Ceratopteris cornuta (random growth in all directions, hard to shape)
4. Pistia (good for fry tanks and ponds as it sucks everything from the water)
5. Eichhornia crassipes (floating pond plant)
6. Cryptocoryne pontederifolia (nothing against it, just got bored having grown it for over 10 years)

There are other plants that I would be very carefull when adding to the aquascape like Vallisneria, Nymphaea. However they have their use...

#10 ·
Really? I love riccia, not as a submerged plant tried to something, but as a floater.

#13 ·
Najas najas, guppy grass. Grows like a weed, and is extremely brittle, so removing it guarantees some will be left to reestablish itself.

Subwassertang . Just like mosses. I will never be rid of it.

Madagascar lace plant. Becomes giant, takes over then goes dormant....

#16 ·
The only plant I won't do again is the tiny form of duckweed. It's too hard to completely remove if you ever want to be rid of it, and aside from goldfish no one seems to really want to eat it.

The other floating plants that are larger than duckweed are typically easier to remove, and have larger root systems for fish and inverts to hide out in.

I also got a tiny bladderwort once from a plant shipment that I removed immediately. It never established in the tank, but from what I've read it's really hard to get rid of once you do have it. (Utricularia?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.