The Planted Tank Forum banner

SouthernCichlids' "Limbs of a Reaper" 40b switch initiated!

13K views 93 replies 18 participants last post by  SouthernCichlids 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm finally moved into my new place and with a new place, come a bigger/better tank! The switch to my 40b started on page 3 I believe, maybe page 4. Critique is always welcome!

Equipment
Aqueon 40 breeder
Petco Brooklyn stand (to be covered in MDF to resemble an ADA stand)
Eheim 2217 and 2213
Hydor in-line 200w heater
Buildmyled.com 36" freshwater planted tank LED fixture
MGOCPM capped with a mixture of Flourite black sand and Black Diamond

Hardscape
Ryuoh stone

Flora
Crypt nurii
Crypt nurii 'pahang mutated'
Crypt parva
Crypt petchii
Crypt wendtii 'Green Gecko"
Crypt wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Crypt wendtii 'De Witt Red'
Crypt wendtii 'Florida Sunset'
Hygro kompacta
Rotala rotundifolia
Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'
Ludwigia 'Atlantis'
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia inclinata 'Cuba'

Fauna
23 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
3 LF BNs
14 Aspidoras alabater
2 Baby wild cross angels

Inverts
N/A

Dosing and Co2
Modified EI dosing
Pfertz root tabs
50% water change once a week
Pressurized co2 (5lb tank with GLA regulator)

See less See more
#34 ·
I'm a neighbor to you (near madison /walnuct cove & work in G-boro). Know any others around here ? Congrats on the new place in June (if that's still the case). The Eheim 2217 is great. I've had ot running my 135gal now for 5+yrs and has been flawless.

I just started my EI dosing yesterday (first time ever fertilizing). Got my ferts from nilocg on here. I'll have to show you some pics as my tank transforms as it's been a long haul and still have a long way to go. Got new LEDs for the tank about a month or so ago to replace my Coralifes (those were great...still have them but not using). Just began w/ a fully automated CO2 system on 4/23/13 (got from aquariumplants.com). Also added substrate pellets (iron & trace) that same day to hold me over until I got my dry ferts. Seeing pearling for the first time in my tank (ever).

I'd love to know where you get your shrimp & plants around G-boro, WS, & HP as I've not found anywhere that really has healthy plants. I have an 8" Clown Loach so the shrimp may just be a meal for that guy.

Right now I'm in process of just trying to nurse nana's & crypts back to health before I buy a bunch of new plants. So looking for a good place around here to get some.

#35 ·
Got some incredible GBRs in from matt13 earlier! This is my pair of long-fins :wink:
These fish have so much color that my crappy phone doesn't want to share with everyone, but I should be able to get some high res shots sometime this week!

Attachments

#38 ·
Move in date set for June 13th so I'm hoping to have everything for the 40 set up by July, then get all the plants moved over followed by the fish.
I believe I have all of the equipment that can't be found locally. Got a NIB Eheim 2217 for $125! :D Pretty pumped about that score. Also had to order some new tubing for the 2213 as the current tubing is cut to length for the tank being on the floor.
Still looking for a cheap CO2 regulator and 2.5lb tank. Anyone have one or have any tips/suggestions?

#39 ·
This is what happens when my camera is returned..

Y'all get pictures and updates!

2 of my new rams from matt13 are already showing spawning behavior so it shouldn't be long! The close up picture of just the clumps of crypts is cryptocoryne petchii, it has some awesome patterning.

I'm mixing in pictures of my shrimp tank just for the heck of it

Attachments

#40 ·
Re: SouthernCichlids' "Limbs of a Reaper" Stockpiling new equipment!

Love your rams - Matt13 has only the best. I would watch those crypts - you may end up with no light reaching the substrate in a month or so :).

Your shrimps look like pigs, even though you are trying to teach them some table manners.

Good luck with the move, may it be an uneventful one.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

#41 ·
His rams are awesome, the longfins are a weakness of mine for sure! Hahaha I think some of my other crypts are liking the shade, my plecos love hanging out on the underside of the leaves in the current from my filter.

Well fed pigs at that! They keep their tank spotless though so I guess that counts as manners :icon_roll

Thanks Oleg!
Love your rams - Matt13 has only the best. I would watch those crypts - you may end up with no light reaching the substrate in a month or so :).

Your shrimps look like pigs, even though you are trying to teach them some table manners.

Good luck with the move, may it be an uneventful one.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

#50 ·
Well, I had an idea the other day and it's been stuck in my head so I wanted to get some other opinions on it as well!

What do you guys think about adding an LED strip light to the 40b to supplement my current T5HO fixture? Or even an LED spotlight over top of the largest mass of plants?

My reasoning: Not only would it really make the blues in my rainbows pop but it will also help even out the spread of the light on an 18" wide tank and help me get some decent PAR to the substrate in the front and back of my tank.

#54 ·
Tank and stand are up and positioned!

MGOCPM and a mixture of Flourite black sand and Black Diamond will be going in today so that I can start working on the hardscape :D

BML light came in! Expensive but well worth it, that is one sweet piece of lighting!

**pictures of the Ryuoh stone hardscape to come tonight**

#59 ·
I got them from Frank at ADG, he gave me a nice deal and hand picked them for me. You'll have to drop by the new place in a few weeks and check it out!
Plan is to go with a bunch of crypt petchii and parva on the hill and up front, balansae and spirialis on the right, nurii in front of those tall plants, everything else on the left. I'm going to have lots of plants that I don't have room for though. Guess we'll see what looks best!

#60 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.