The Planted Tank Forum banner

2.5G Iwagumi Rebirth

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  GMYukonon24s 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi ya'll,

This is one of my first tanks I got since I started this hobby and the only one I've kept since then.

After seeing so many cool looking iwagumi scapes (too many to mention for now) I really want to try it myself once and for all.

Frank from ADA knew exactly what I wanted and although I changed my mind about the initial scape plans... wow, the stones he sent were great. Hands down, no regrets for me.

Specs are as follows:
2.5G
Seiryu stones
Aqua soil
co2 (won fluval 88 regulator from jake and going to use it on this tank)
Finnex Fugeray 12 inch (likely right on top of the tank so it'll hopefully be close to high light-ish)
Aquaclear 20
Dosing probably pps pro
Tissue cultured H.C. & Mini Riccia

This is what I ended up with for now at my first attempt. I liked the layout at first but after snapping few shots and staring at the photos on my computer... I'm not so sure. Going to sleep on it.

dead on I don't think it looks... anything special. Maybe I should try elevating the rock a bit more to give it a more dynamic look.

this is the top portion - I wanted a lush h.c. garden to the left there leading up to the...cliff?

I think this is the winning aspect of the stone or more like.. the cliff. I really like that gap the stone came with. It actually is a small opening gap that goes through the stone - I can get creative with that also.

All in all, I feel "ok" about the scape for now. I wanted a cliff feel and with the rocks I got and the size of the tank.. I actually ended up only using 1 stone. Haha

Please share some feedbacks with me as I can use all the help I can get!

See less See more
#4 ·
haha that was my initial inspiration yes. but i realized for a 2.5G, it's hard to find the right stones for such a small foot print. i decided maybe less, is really more in a situation like this where only using 1 big stone can make up for it.

and agreed-too much substrate. I'll be scooping some out to give it some slope and/or depth front and back! good call man!

Love it! But I would take that back corner and try to push it right more till it nestles into the corner. Give a little more slant to the stone, rather than having it straight

- Mumford
hmm, that back right corner of the stone you mean? the corner (bottom portion) is touching the glass indeed but I intentionalyl left some space as it went up the glass as you can see in the 2nd pic:

I will try tomorrow to see if I can get it a little closer to the glass and elevate the rock itself. I was thinking the same - getting some height to the rock itself to really give it a cliff look.

#9 ·
I don't think you should raise them. I think repositioning + 1 vertical element implementation is in order. Some sand would be cool on the bare part.

Superglue moss to the entire cliff edge.

#10 ·
ok ok i think i may be on to a scape. i decided to try a different scape instead of copying someone else's work in reality.

not the best photos i know, but bare with me.

does anyone see that cool...cave like opening?

this one is blurry, sorry but i showed it to show that left hand side. i plan to fill it with sand..thoughts?

this is what i made right before i left. i saw a scape emerging in my head right before i left and had to scape it and snap a shot so i can keep playing with it in my head. i like the mountainous look i get from the stone and the slope from the AS. i'll remove more AS on the right hand side to make the slope more significant but i'm a little concerned about the slope coming apart. gotta put some rocks underneath it or something!

let me know your thoughts!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.