The Planted Tank Forum banner

How many planted tank addicts.

14K views 87 replies 55 participants last post by  starfire12 
#1 ·
How many planted tank addicts are in Washington? I am located in Renton and work in Shoreline. I have a 55, 6 and a couple 2 gallon tanks. Just picked up some scarlet badis and clown killis last night.

#2 ·
I live in washington. However I live on the east side. Like 4 hours away from Renton. If you want to meet some nice people go to the GSAS meetings.

#5 ·
Hi Peaceofthetropic!

Shoreline, Wa here. Just started a rimless 18 cube. Only plants so far until I get my pH up a little (currently at 5.6 due to Aquasoil Amazonia). Finally got the hair algae under control. Where did you get your Scarlet Badis? Looking to put some with shrimps - okay to both in your opinion.

Thanks!

#6 ·
I work in Shoreline, off of 145th. Where did you get the rimless cube? I am not sure what size I want to do. I did a couple 2 gallon plastic tanks my kids did not want anymore and I am trying to get the algae under control right now. I am using DIY Co2 on one to see if it will help. I also picked up several shrimp to help out. I got the Badis at the Sierra Fish in downtown Renton. They were only 3.99 each, so I grabbed both. Unfortunately they are both males. But they are fun little fish to watch. I like the clown killis I got at the same time. The Badis do not seem to have eaten any of the shrimp I have in with them and there were a couple small ones. What kind of plants are you using?

#7 ·
Rimless

got the rimless from Aquarium Plus down in the International District/Chinatown. Had to make a customized cabinet and found some lights that would not cost so much when replacing the bulbs. Jimmy just sold his store, but should still be carrying rimless tanks. I also purchased a CO2 setup from him (20lb tank - should last for years), but upgraded to a Azoo regulator (from Dr. Smith). Also, purchased a rhinox bubble counter (ebay Asia) & diffuser (ebay N.Y.) - (both came with a cheaper set, but liked the looks of these better). Right now in search of some better priced lily pipes.

Plants: HC, moss balls, Nesaea triflora, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Rotala macrandra (narrow leaf), and dwarf hairgrass. Tried Blyxa japonica, but it started to melt, so I throw in my 55g low tech tank and see what will happen.

Just added some corals in my canister. Looks like pH shot up to around 6.2, will do another WC and remove half the corals to see if I can get it to stabilize to 6.0 - 6.2.

I also had initial algae problem, but reduce light/CO2 time from 12 hrs to 9 hrs and added Excel right after WC (did around 50% for a few days). Looks like that did the trick. Have tank running for a little a month. This is the first planted hi-tech tank for me, so all a learning curve.

I will check with Liem down in the ID and see if he has any Badis.

Attachments

#8 ·
rimless

Sorry for the late response. Started a new position at work and have been busy.
Nice looking tank. I need to get down there and get a rimless. I heard Jimmy sold the store (he actually tried to sell it to me). Hopefully the new owner is as nice and helpful. Hope they don't change what they carry.

Yeah, I really like the Badis. They are fun to watch. Very curious and take their time when looking at what they want to eat.

I picked up a mixed bag of shrimps down at Sierra in Renton (traded for some Golden Wonder killis I had) The shrimp went right to work on the algae.

got the rimless from Aquarium Plus down in the International District/Chinatown. Had to make a customized cabinet and found some lights that would not cost so much when replacing the bulbs. Jimmy just sold his store, but should still be carrying rimless tanks. I also purchased a CO2 setup from him (20lb tank - should last for years), but upgraded to a Azoo regulator (from Dr. Smith). Also, purchased a rhinox bubble counter (ebay Asia) & diffuser (ebay N.Y.) - (both came with a cheaper set, but liked the looks of these better). Right now in search of some better priced lily pipes.

Plants: HC, moss balls, Nesaea triflora, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Rotala macrandra (narrow leaf), and dwarf hairgrass. Tried Blyxa japonica, but it started to melt, so I throw in my 55g low tech tank and see what will happen.

Just added some corals in my canister. Looks like pH shot up to around 6.2, will do another WC and remove half the corals to see if I can get it to stabilize to 6.0 - 6.2.

I also had initial algae problem, but reduce light/CO2 time from 12 hrs to 9 hrs and added Excel right after WC (did around 50% for a few days). Looks like that did the trick. Have tank running for a little a month. This is the first planted hi-tech tank for me, so all a learning curve.

I will check with Liem down in the ID and see if he has any Badis.

#9 ·
I live in a small town north of Everett, And you can see what tanks i already have in my signature but im about to pick up another 10 gallon from a friend who doesnt want to set it up again :)

#11 ·
Seriously...if anybody is in east washington, hit me up. I have found TWO people on this forum that are on the east side. ONLY TWO!

#20 ·
Dismantling

Hey there! I am in Seattle and I am actually getting rid of my 45H gallon community tank this week. After about 5 years of maintaining it is time for a break!

I am not getting rid of any equipment, since I am sure I will set it up again in the future, but I have a bunch of fish and plants to get rid of! And some food and plant nutrients, etc. Anyone interested? See the list below! I will give the plants away for free (since most of them have green algae - nothing worse than that though), but would be open to offer on the fish. I'd be most happy to give them all to the same person, but if you want specific items let me know.

PM me if you are interested!

Thanks!

J

Fish:
Cardinal Tetras (5)
Rasboras (14)
Dwarf Chain Loaches (5)
Siamese Algae Eaters (True) (3)
Red and Yellow Platties (5)
Ottos (3)
Corys (3)

Plants:
Java Fern
Red Rubin Sword
Anubias Nana Petite
Anubias Nana
Anubias Kwango Minima
Cryptocoryne Willisi
Rotala Macrandra

#23 ·
Hi All,

I grow a few plants.

You should have seen some of the great plants in the 'mini-auction' Tuesday night after the GSAS Presentation on Planted Nano Tanks by Karen Randall (AGA). There were Hydrocotyle tripartita, Marsilea minuta, Pogostemon erectus, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Eriocaulon parkeri, and Eriocaulon cinereum just to name a few! We have some great plant growers in our club!

#30 ·
Lights

They are actually purchased from Ikea (one of their stand) lights. We mounted them (via the pole) to the back side. PM me if you need add'l info. Used 27w, 6500K cfl. I only have one light on for about 7 hours total (in 2 intervals). The cost worked out, but my husband does not like the brightness (at couch level), he wants to put some type of surround cover, but I explained "this is a rimless tank, so no rims" :icon_wink

I have attached updated pictures. Will at some point just have purple bamboo in the back and dhg. Did p/u lily pipes from Shrimplab a couple of months ago.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.