The Planted Tank Forum banner

best shops in RI?

12K views 66 replies 23 participants last post by  Linder 
#1 ·
I'm visiting Ri this weekend and what to visit a shop or 2 on the way home its a small state so I guess anything goes. which shops are worth checking out?

#35 ·
I was just at RI Aquarium (the one in Providence correct?) for the first time in ~5 years and I have to say wow what a dump. I have never seen animals in such poor condition. They had a tank with about 8 resplendent anthias in it and all were on the sand gasping. The freshwater side was possibly worse (both were bad) but they carried alot of big fish and most were suffering from crazy fungal and/or bacterial infections or were not moving.

Also they carry small pets which for me is a warning sign to stay away.

Not even sure they carry plants tbh.

#36 ·
Thats like this pet paradise place here in North Providence/johnston, dead fish stuck to the filter intakes. Just unsightly and gross. Theres a little pet place right in smith st by golds gym, its a puppy mill. Puppies locked in the cages on the walls like the pound. Its like a pet concentration camp. Awful, there was a mastif puppy there. I asked how much and the guy said $900 but wanted to "move" him quickyl so the price was negiotable.

Again why i like aqualife, clean and ive had no issues on any plants or fish ive bought

#39 ·
Just thought I'd update an old thread :p.

I work as a sales rep and have all of RI as my territory so I literally stop into every fish store in RI almost once a week between my work schedule. I would say my top must go places are:

Critter Hut - North Kingstown (By far has the best odd ball fish and good variety of plants with great staff)
Animal Instincts - Fall River (decent selection on plants and fish with great prices and a very knowledgable and friendly staff)
Aqua-Life - Great plant and fish selection with very reasonable prices)
Fish Bowl Aquarium - West Warwick (Good selection of plants and fish with fair prices)
Critter Hut - South Kingstown (Similar to the North Kingstown location and sometimes gets in potted gloss, ricca, etc.
Fish Bowl Aquarium - Fall River (Tons of tanks and decent selection of fish and plants with good deals when buying in bulk)

#41 ·
I have noticed that ri aquarium has been changing things lately.. Can't say that it's better yet, but it seems like they're in the process of trying to make it better.

I've been meaning to check out critter hut.. I haven't been there in about ten years (they were still in the stop and shop plaza then)

#44 ·
I've been to RI Aquarium a few times and have found some decent deals (picked up my Deep Blue 75 Gal for $100 there). I have bought a few plants from there and they're doing good as well. I have personally never bought a fish there though but they definitely have the potential to make that place great. I've noticed a few dead fish the couple times I've went in and the selection could be better.

#45 ·
im always at ether animal instincts or aqua life cause they are both equal distance from me in bristol haha both my favs. but when it comes to looking for stuff that u never see in a store i love to check critter hut from time to time just to see what they have and almost always drop 20-40$ when ever i go to goo to pass up!

FYI the petco in prov right next to whole foods i just found today they regularly have amano shrimp for less than 2.50per i got their last one today but the girl said they would get more on monday super great deal seeing as most places have em for 3-4$

#46 ·
I've been noticing Petco's carrying amano and nerite snails more often. The one in Warwick has supplied my 4 big tanks with about 15 amano's and 10 nerite snais. As much as I hate not shopping "local" they do have great prices and usually decent numbers of things I'm looking for from time to time. My gf and I went out the Taunton yesterday to go to Underwater World in the mall there. Decided to stop at Petco first figuring we wouldn't find much and just wanted to poke around... I found a Pink Tailed Chalceus for $14! I've been looking for a good size topwater for a while and $14 is a hell of a deal. They even had Discus there that had exceptionally good color to them even for lfs standards (they were $40-45 though so not much of a deal). Not to mention Petco now has a decent Fluval LED lighting section 0.0! I think the chains are starting to pick up on the more serious hobbyists needs.

I will say this though. No Petco staff can be nearly as knowledgable as Bob from Animal Instincts or George from Aqua-Life or Adam from Critter Hut. Plus LFS can special order and give discounts so it's really apples and oranges.

#47 ·
im going to def have to go to that petco! but agreed they r probly the most knowledgeable people in the area! too bad nick left animal instincts :( guna miss him but the new guy seems quite knowledgeable! i was testing his knowledge the other day i went in there had a little convo haha as far as planted tanks go!

#48 ·
I stopped into ri aquarium today. I have to say from what it was to what it is its Luke night and day. I missed a 20l deep blue sale for $25 by a week. They had panda cories which if they had 5 I would have bought them but the woman said Tuesday they have more. I saw more dead fish at petco by garden city then this place. I think I saw 1 dead. All in all I have to say they have changed by leaps and bounds

#49 ·
I know, right? I couldn't believe the change! If it's not under new management, I'd suggest they look in to some kind sign saying "We finally got out heads out of our A$$es!"

When I was there last they were pulling out a bunch of tanks.. were they still gone, or did they finally fill it in?m Also.. the last time I was there they had cherry shrimp! (when I was last keeping fish a few years ago (6 or 7 maybe,) I asked them if they had shrimp and the employee pointed me to the SW section.. when I asked for FW it was like I'd asked for a species of feline native to the deep pacific.

#55 ·
I stopped into RI Aquarium yesterday after doing the rounds around RI with a friend showing him all the stores and wow am I impressed. The store was very clean and the fish all looked good. They're setting up a huge wall of tanks when I went in and the racks look good. They had a huge tank sale going on for 10-75gal Deep Blue tanks only a few bucks more than $ per gallon. Their Deep Blue lighting prices are ridiculously low and are very tempting. Overall huge improvement and I've def put this place back on my map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.