The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Tiggity's 40B Dirt Tank
View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Originally Posted by bobc4d View Post
question about the Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil, did you just dump it in and add the sand substrate or did you do any preparation to the potting soil?
If you buy the "ORGANIC CHOICE SOIL" (read the bag) You're into the wrong stuff for an easy starting tank using orgainic rich soil. Every bag I've seen (looked at a bunch in 5yrs.) they all contain cow manure.

Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix is the bagged 'dirt' product I use.
MGOCPM (potting mix) contains soils and a large portion of organic material (55-65% by volume).
Listed as containing Sphagnum peat moss, composted bark fines, leaves, twigs, wood chips, etc. and "pasteurized poultry litter" (cooked chicken crap).
The chicken crap is cooked to eliminate the bacteria it's commonly known to contain.
0.10-0.05-0.05 is one of the lowest NPK ratios you will find on a bagged product and part of the reason the initial spikes reported by many using other stuff is reported at a minimum using MGOCPM.

Get the right bag and have zero point zero added chemical ferts to be concerned with no urea, no wetting agents and no cow maunure.

Remove any big wood chips.
1.5 to 2" max depth on the soils layer.
1 to 1.5" of your sand or other capping material.
Flood slowly to about 3" of water above the total substrate and use your hand to pat the base to release any trapped air.
Fully plant the tank and filler it up.
After a week change 50% of the water if the tannins stain it more than you can stand for.
Run the lighting 6-8hrs per day and watch for algae issues and reduce lighting if needed. Floaters are something I add to most new tank starts.

grow baby grow

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome