The Planted Tank Forum banner

my first planted tank...please help :/

12K views 114 replies 16 participants last post by  jonnyboy 
#1 ·
I've had my tank for a few months now and am getting frustrated with my plants. They are not dying, but don't look healthy are are not growing.

TANK: 20gal 24Lx13wx17h
LIGHT:18" 15watt full spectrum
SUBSTRATE: 1/2 eco complete substrate. 1/2 quarter inch stones
FERTILIZER: Flourish Seachem. Weekly doses
TEMP: always right around 79 degrees
PH: around 7, but just ordered an API Pro kit to replace test strips
All other tests seem to be in normal ranges....according to test strips
FISH: 7 fish, 3 red cherry shrimp. just lost my Oto Cat :(
PLANTS: 2crypt parva, 1rangeri sword, 2bronze wendtii, 1lutea, 3noname grasses

My main question is why my plants arent growing. lights are on a 9hr cycle, I use weekly flourish seachem doses, weekly 25%-40% water changes always with conditioner....is it the lights? I just ordered a Co2 diffuser to go with my DIY Co2 system which will be in in a few days.
If you tell me to get better lights please give me some recommendations and/or links....I've been reading and shopping for the past couple nights and am really not sure which way to go. Theres so many options and brands and I don't want to buy the wrong one. Aqueon doesnt make a good versatile hood, so I'm ready to make a decent investment.
ANY advice will be MUCH appreciated!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#88 ·
Just read through this whole thread! It looks like your swords originally had emersed growth, which might explain some of the leaf loss. This sword looks really nice. If you've trimmed most of the old leaves off you should probably start getting some new growth! Just stay on top of the root tabs. You've got a good start on this tank!

#85 ·
root tabs. definitely. and you may not have the right balance for your plants if your still having problem with root tabs. I havent read everything in this thread but looking at your equipment from your first one you seem to have the same problem I have... You dont exactly have enough light.. or the light may not be the right spectrum for your plants... I suggest a desk lamp with a cfl of 6500K. representing daylight 23 watts. I am doing this now. I can see my plants doing a bit better. though i have a nutrient difficiency i must solve. I just have to find out which one it is...

#86 ·
You need another fixture and two bulbs - T8. The thing that stumps me is why, if you don't have a lot of light now, are you having so many problems with algae? The general answer would be because the plants aren't growing, which means there is a limiting factor. Having had good experience with lowering the light and photoperiod, I would suggest using non-metal window screening or raising the fixture to lower the light. It also helped me with BGA to vacuum the gravel, which I guess wouldn't apply to you with e-whatever fluorite. Could try cleaning your filter if it needs it.

Make absolutely sure you're adding the right amount of Comprehensive, and put Root Tabs way underneath the swords and other root-feeders. What is your Nitrate level?? Be prepared to wait at least 1 week for fast-growing plants to start to grow, more for slower ones.

#103 ·
So far the consensus of what I've read is less than 20 parts per million, can go up to 30 ppm sometimes. I forgot what size your tank is. If it's small, you don't need to dose Nitrates or Potassium and shouldn't. I don't with my 10g. Someone who wanted to embark on that journey with a small tank would have to use Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium and trace elements, and use them all, in the correct proportions, very small doses. I wouldn't advise it. It's for high light and pressurized CO2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.