The Planted Tank Forum banner

Matt's Fluval Spec V - First Freshwater Tank

9K views 54 replies 10 participants last post by  Clavius 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I've been a member for a number of years but have only posted a handful of times. Ever since I joined, I've had plans to do some sort of small/nano planted tank since I got out of reefing. Keeping up with a reef tank, while challenging and a lot of fun, ended up getting too costly and time consuming. So I got out of the hobby for the foreseeable future. In the meantime I would like to try a small, simple planted tank and see if I can have any success with it. I just ordered a Fluval Spec V from Petco ($67 shipped!). I really like the dimensions of the tank and am looking forward to getting it. I'll post some pics when I do. Until then, here's a video on YouTube of my reef tank when it looked its best:

http://youtu.be/P0vYmCABryk

-Matt

#43 ·
I never considered them jumpers, but over the course of a year I lost 4 neons out of my rimless to dry land exploration.

I broke down and moved my heater from the pump compartment into the main portion of the tank, I just couldn't get the water over like 75 degrees, even with the 50 watt hydor on full blast. The water in the filter compartment was 86 degrees.

#44 ·
I've noticed that the temperature in the pump compartment with the heater in there is higher than the rest of the tank. However, not to that extreme in my case (so far!).

On a side note, I couldn't find the Endler's Livebearer and figured it had died and there was simply no body to be found. I just so happened to mess with the air hose in the pump compartment and noticed the Endler's swimming in the compartment. It had jumped there from the main part of the tank! Needless to say it was a real pain to get it out of there. Ended up siphoning his ass out of there with some wide hose I had. Very stressful for both myself and the fish! Now I use the cover over the tank!

#51 ·
Would love some input as for what other plants I should consider putting in the tank or any suggestions regarding moving any of the current ones around!

At the moment the only other plant I'm thinking about getting is some Dwarf Hairgrass. I've gotten all my plants at PetSmart so far (unfortunately), and the selection is pretty limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.