The Planted Tank Forum banner

Canister intake/outtake placement

17K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  shift 
#1 ·
I have a 84G tank (48"x17"x24") with a FX5 filter.

Is it best to have the intake/outtake on one side to create a circular motion or to put one on each side for a side for a 1 direction flow.

#7 ·
I'm about to set it up in the next day or two. I'm going to place the intake and outtake on the same end. I'm just not sure if the output will be to much for my army of tetras and danios. You can turn down the flow on the intake and outtake on the fx5. If it is too much my backup plan will be a spray bar

#8 ·
I'm about to set it up in the next day or two. I'm going to place the intake and outtake on the same end. I'm just not sure if the output will be to much for my army of tetras and danios. You can turn down the flow on the intake and outtake on the fx5. If it is too much my backup plan will be a spray bar
Cool please keep us updated, as I will be setting mine up in a few weeks as well.

What did you ever do about inline heater?

#12 ·
I don't think it would look very bulky, depending on the positioning of it. If you place it at one end of the tank, running front to back so that it sprays the length of the tank, I think that would minimize its profile and make it less noticeable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#15 ·
Don't forget the Osaka has that silver trim band at the top which will hide all kinds of evil if you use it properly.

What I'd do is put the spray bar at the front of the tank, hidden behind that trim and have it spraying towards the back of the tank. That way you get the benefits of a spraybar with it being practically invisible.

#22 ·
I always have two filter especially for bigger tanks. Then we Dont have this problem because there is a inlet and outlet on both sides. My 125g has a fx5, jbj canister and AC110.

#24 ·
I think I have decided to just go with a spray bar for my FX5. It going in 90G marineland tank, that has black painted back ground and I will use same color. Now to drill holes in PVC, for that matter get them all in same line. ha ha

I think it trial and error, and depends on where you like input/output for your tank, also what looks best to you. I have realized we can all try it as others suggest, but until we see it working is when we will know what works for sure.

#26 ·
Let me know what size pipe you go with and what you attach the pipe to the fluval hose with :)

I may build one aswell just to try it out. Would you shoot the water straight down or sideways to it ripples the top water?
I went with 3/4 PVC. I would have rather used 1/2, but I don't think the fluval hose would work with the 1/2

Going to build it this weekend, maybe, wife and kid just came down with stomach flu, so maybe not. :icon_conf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.